Author Topic: Marriage certificate for Thomas Kavanagh only so is it possible to find him?  (Read 14275 times)

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
For some 12 years now I have searched for my great grandfather and I have always come up against a thick brick wall.

My problem is I only have his marriage certificate and I know nothing else about him apart from his name which is Thomas Kavanagh - there again the name itself is a very common one.

I have tried all avenues that I could think of and asked for help here too on Rootsweb. I followed all advice and still no luck.

Should I give up or is it possible to find him with only a marriage cert?  What would you do?
E.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage certificate only so is it possible to find him?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 January 16 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JenB. I get lost in this forum so would be happy to have them merged or deleted as I can never find them anyway and most are outdated now.
Thanks.
E.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 January 16 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Not sure that Family History findings can become outdated!

Havent read through all the previous work done, but just on what is in this post the obvious steps (that presumably have been taken) are : has he been found in a census after marriage? What name and occupation does he give for father on marriage cert? When/where is marriage? Who does he marry? etc etc. 

In answer to your question on this thread - yes it is possible to "find" someone when all you start with is a marriage cert, because you move on to other things as listed.

But I guess in this case there is a lot more to it, presumably all usual channels have reached a full stop for whatever reason.
So I m not sure that starting a new thread is going to help. All we will can do, at least to start with to get some more info,  is to go over old ground surely?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 January 16 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JenB. I get lost in this forum so would be happy to have them merged or deleted as I can never find them anyway

Stan and I explained how to find them here  :)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=734407.msg5798317#msg5798317

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 January 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
When I said outdated I meant that I have followed all the suggestions and still hit a brick wall.
He has never been found on a census after 1881. He married in 1894 in Lanchester, Co Durham. His father is listed as a labourer.
All of the above have been explored so I have no clue as to where to go to from here. It is a long and complicated story as the previous posts attest to so I won't repeat here.
I suggested deleting the other posts or merging them to save space, that was all.
Thanks for your post and if you can help further it would be appreciated.
E.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 January 16 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever purchase the birth certificate mentioned in earlier thread?

Found the birth of a Thomas Kavanagh registered in Stockton Oct/Dec 1864 10a 7052. Can anyone find Parish Baptismal record for him please as really need to know his mother's maiden name.
Any help so appreciated. Census say he was born Spennymoor and he was Catholic but don't know which church he would have been baptised in.
Very many thanks in advance for any help given.
E.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 January 16 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever purchase the birth certificate mentioned in earlier thread?

Found the birth of a Thomas Kavanagh registered in Stockton Oct/Dec 1864 10a 7052. Can anyone find Parish Baptismal record for him please as really need to know his mother's maiden name.
Any help so appreciated. Census say he was born Spennymoor and he was Catholic but don't know which church he would have been baptised in.
Very many thanks in advance for any help given.
E.

I posed that question on an earlier thread and this was the reply

JenB, yes I phoned Stockton registras' and gave them the information I had from his marriage certificate which is only his father's name and occupation. I added the information on the 1871 and 1881 census too and the young man rang me back a few hours later and said there was no Cavanagh/Kavanagh or any other spelling of that name bon in Ferryhill in 1864.
I recall getting information about a Thomas Avanagh, the C having missed off for some reason but I cannot find that link again now and yes I recall telling them about that too but again they said no. It has been a while so maybe I could phone again. The even told me to phone Stockport where all the records are kept they told me and I did and I got the same answer - am I just unlucky and get the wrong people on the phone who either don't care or cannot be bothered to look things up properly? I have no idea but I did pursue the info. Will try to find Tillypeg's message again.

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 January 16 18:51 GMT (UK) »
No I didn't as I was advised to look for baptismal records and save money as it was suggested to gain further evidence before buying.
I have another marriage certificate where Thomas lists his age as 27 in 1894 which now suggests he was born in 1867 not 1864 as previously suggested. The first cert was in poor condition and I think I have mis-read the 7 for a 4.
I am trying to work on the date of 1867 as opposed to 1864 now. These things happen I know but even so nothing has still be found to find Thomas.
Perhaps I could be advised as to how to change the date of 1864 to 1867 in previous posts or to amend this somehow. All the other information I gave is still correct though.