Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67982 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #81 on: Monday 14 March 16 11:45 GMT (UK) »
The headache is who the heck was Jane Hood burial 1803 Selby wife of John Hood the mariner.

The burial place of George Hood and dobfarm's quote here, sums up my dilemma perfectly.

The Borthwick say and my Selby Parish transcriptions, only add that she was 65 years of age, at burial 15th August 1803. (Selby transcriptions say - 'Died aged 65 & bd in the Ch Yard').

The B.T. scan "Jane Wife of John Hood of Selby Mariner AUG't 15 "

I wonder if a gravestone survives, which might / might not add anything, probably not, knowing my luck!

Kind regards, Mark

I thought you had checked Selby Abbey graveyard for all Hood epitaph/MI's
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3
« Reply #82 on: Monday 14 March 16 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello

About 5 years ago, we did have a look (a main street abutted the cemetery wall), but I seem to recall we were drawn inside Selby Abbey, where we found Matthew Hood Surgeon and wife Elizabeth Hood 1732 in the floor and took photos. Considering the numerous burials, I don't think there were many standing or other headstones.

For John and Jane Hood, I think one suggested was Jane Newby November 1793 marriage at Scalby.

EDIT: Just noticed in my paper notes, that a note on here said that John Hood was a farmer.

Mark

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 14 March 16 17:00 GMT (UK) »
BT entry for the marriage just states the groom and bride, intimates that they both signed - witnesses are George Newby and "possibly" John Hodgson.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Monday 14 March 16 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Via the "Banns" on FindMyPast - but actually the marriage entry  ;D ;D

John Hood is a farmer - botp

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 14 March 16 18:15 GMT (UK) »
BT entry for the marriage just states the groom and bride, intimates that they both signed - witnesses are George Newby and "possibly" John Hodgson.

Hello Bumblebee

Thank you.

The witness names to the John Hood X Jane Newby marriage, November 1793 could be coincidences, but ...

In two newspapers Leeds Intelligencer and Manchester Mercury of 10 July 1781, a Geo Newby was a Master sailing from Stanton's Wharf London to Selby.

However, a Jane Hodgson, was the daughter of John Hood, in an 1815 Will, summarised extracts below ...

Will of John Hood, June 1815 Kirkby Misperton
I John Hood of Ryton in the County of York Jobber ... my daughter Mary Sunley ... my daughter Ann Gawbry ...my daughter Jane Hodgson ... my daughter Elizabeth Abbot ... and lastly ... I appoint my son Robert Hood and my Son-in-Law Thomas Harrison Sole Executors ... 11th September 1814
Witnessed Rob't Drake, Richard Fox pass'd 5th June 1815

EDIT: Newby or just coincidences?
On George Hood's 1815 Marriage Bond, it was signed by:-
George Hood and Chester Newby of Selby, a miller.

Earlier reply #160 from Goughy 26 October 2015
Chester Newby
Born in Whitley Bridge 1790 Parents Thomas and Hannah Newby (nee Chester)
Married Elizabeth Goulton 30 Jan 1814  (Chester of Snaith Parish - Elizabeth Selby Parish
Re-married 1841 in Rawcliffe, Goole to Mary Ann Pease - residence at time of marriage Barlow
1841 Census residence  Barlow
1851 Census visitor Barlow
Died 25 Sept 1859 Selby District
Probate Calendar describes him as Gentleman of Snaith

Goughy

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello dobfarm, Goughy, Bumblebee and All

Thank you for all your searches, time, efforts and travelling.

You may recall, that there might be a George Hood, widower, according to a Deed Memorial.

I am trying to make sense of a Deed Memorial (summary), of the selling family and several others. Also a George Hood and a George Hood of Selby, brewer are mentioned (G.H., the Brewer, formerly being the Cooper, the occupation clearly changes by July 1826 (Richard Hood's baptism).

It seems the selling family have gone back and forth to The High Court of Chancery, from 1830.

I'm hoping to get copies posted and although George Hood was not a named Plaint or Defendant in the Case title. I am hoping it might mention George Hood/s.

Ordered 3 other slightly later (19th Cent) Hood Wills of the family, sometimes later documents of the children, go into an explanation of how property was first acquired, other relationships.

Having George Hood's 1846 Probate, names premises by type, street names, leaving to his wife and children, mentions Legacies (no explanation) and appointing an Arbitrator and Executors.

We shall look at the Hull, Scarborough angle shortly.

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Have you researched for a burial of a wife of George Hood the widower  ???

Quote snippet from above post

"Also a George Hood and a George Hood of Selby, brewer are mentioned (G.H., the Brewer, formerly being the Cooper, the occupation clearly changes by July 1826 (Richard Hood's baptism)"

un- Quote

This is what makes me think George Hood d 1845 acquired his wealth from the Russel ( Russell) family after his 1815 marriage  ???
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Obviously, Sarah Russel aged 21 yrs married to George Hood 1815, would be too young.

Hull Packet 3rd May 1803

"On Saturday fe'nnight, at Lancaster, Mr Taite, wine and spirit merchant in York, to Miss Sarah Russell, of Selby. "

There were two spellings:- Russel and Russell at Selby.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Too young ?

A Will/probate trust or inheritance to be paid out at reaching full adulthood at 21 years old or paid out after marriage from a deceased's estate of a parent, grandparent, great grandparent, uncle  or aunt and who died many years earlier when the Will was made put in a trust when the inheritor was a child is not unusual.