Author Topic: Clowes conundrum  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clowes conundrum
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 18:04 GMT (UK) »

I think that the Thomas you have found looks very likely :)

I have no idea how you could prove that Thomas is the right one, you could try looking through these to see if there are any mentions of him,

http://newspapers.library.wales/home

or contact Archive Wales as they seem to have some Lampeter workhouse records,

https://archiveswales.llgc.org.uk/anw/get_collection.php?inst_id=31&coll_id=1930&expand=

Emily seems to be a very good fit, I can't see any Emily T?wson that could be her  :)

Well found... she was well hidden :)

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 19:43 GMT (UK) »

I've just realised that Thomas CLOWES joined the army after his wife Charlotte and baby son John William died. The enlistment papers could show him as single if the question was asked as "are you married" and he just said no, not mentioning that he was a Widower, or perhaps being Widower didn't need recording as there were no dependants.

I wonder if the family went to the workhouse because of illness as it probably had the only medical treatment/beds available to them. So did Thomas go in with them and survive, was he away working when they went into the workhouse and died or had he deserted them already? His army records show his habits as irregular and drunken, I wonder, was that his character before his family's death or because of it?

It doesn't look like he took care of his stepdaughter Emma TEWSON, but again more questions, couldn't he or didn't he want to?

Could Poor laws help with the workhouse records?

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline vinpip

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 22:33 GMT (UK) »
 :D thank so much Daisypetal :) it's great to have someone to agree with a theory.
I have tried to look at Welsh newspapers with no success but will again to see if anything new is available. I think the workhouse records fall under the 100 year rule but also worth another check.

It was a hard slog to find! I'm not such an experienced researcher but I'm definitely tenacious lol!

Yes, Thomas joined up in the Dec of 1882, Charlotte & John Willie died in the September. I'm hoping it was their death that was the reason for his service record. Off the top of my head his railway work conduct was of a good standard.

I guess that Charlotte & John were in workhouse due to illness. Her death cert implied illness for 3 months & also 42 days mentioned (must scan it & get help with some deciphering) her occupation was 'housekeeper of Cheadle' so implies coming from a job?

How do I research poor laws?

Thanks again for your interest & help Daisypetal, it's much appreciated x

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 18:50 GMT (UK) »

I've only had experience looking at poor laws when I was in a record office so I don't know much about researching them. I found these links which might help,

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/poverty-poor-laws/

https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Cheshire_Poor_Law_Unions

but it does look like they might all have been lost in ww2 like those you have already read about :(

Sorry I can't be of more help here.

Daisy

P.S. Any luck finding out about the NUTTALL family in 1901?

Offline vinpip

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Daisypetal :) I'll have a look at those links tomorrow.

Tried the Welsh newspapers again with no luck but did phone the record office re Lampeter and a lovely lady said she would look into what records were available and get back to me. Fingers crossed that might come to something  to confirm Thomas in Wales.

Have done loads of research on the Nuttals without really coming to anything apart from them having connections to areas near to Cheadle and Stockport area pre 1901.

I'm just about to follow a hunch / coincidence  - 1891 census for Emma was servant with a father in law called Wilde to the head of the household. There were also a Wilde family next to Sarah Moss, Thomas's sister in Cheadle in 1881. Might be nothing but worth a look. I'll let you know if it comes to anything.