Author Topic: ScotlandsPeople (New website now live).  (Read 50268 times)

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople (Shutdown now Wed 21st Sept. at 23.59 until Mon 26th Sept.2016)
« Reply #72 on: Monday 26 September 16 18:59 BST (UK) »
"Remember, once you log-in to the new site for the first time you will see that your credits, saved images and searches are all be available."

Dear, oh dear, oh dear  :(

I blame the parents.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople (Shutdown now Wed 21st Sept. at 23.59 until Mon 26th Sept.2016)
« Reply #73 on: Monday 26 September 16 22:41 BST (UK) »
Just waiting for the 'Unexpected issues had delayed the launch of the new Scotland's People website' announcement  ::)

Sancti, just for you, here it is: (from Facebook)

Update on new ScotlandsPeople website

We now expect the new ScotlandsPeople website to go live within the next few days.

>:( >:(

>:( :(

More cold turkey

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople(Launch date Mon. 26th Sept.2016 , now the next few days).
« Reply #74 on: Monday 26 September 16 23:45 BST (UK) »
It's odd that I don't use SP for months, and then when it shuts down, I find loads of things I want to look up.  ;D

Frustrating though it is, I think they are doing the right thing by ensuring everything is functioning properly, before releasing. I think their problem is that they shouldn't have given a date when they would be back. Anything techy like this is fraught with unanticipated delays and unexpected issues  always arise.

I am not following it too closely, and I don't have Facebook and the other thing, but I think in cases like this, they should give regular fairly detailed reports about the progress, so rather than vaguely stating "unexpected delays" they should give full details (in "tech speak") about the issue or issues, and what they are doing to fix them. Obviously if there are thousands of issues, they can't list them all, but perhaps just the larger more time consuming ones.

At least then people might get a better understanding of what is involved, problems that need to be fixed, and the progress being made.  :)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 00:00 BST (UK) »
Surely better that they fix everything before going "live" rather than having to close it again after a few hours or be inundated by complaints?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 02:36 BST (UK) »
Agree, would rather they got it right before launch even if it takes another week.

Let's face it, they probably had to open the site & use it just as we would as a researcher to find out if there were any problems from the "outside" as it is not always apparent on the "inside" if that makes sense?

A bit like fixing a car on the garage floor, they won't know until they run the car if the problem is fixed?

There must be quite a few changes though for it to be down for so long?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 02:43 BST (UK) »
You would expect them to have a team of testers, possibly both paid and unpaid, using the site as the public would (beta testing).  :)

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 10:20 BST (UK) »
Surely better that they fix everything before going "live" rather than having to close it again after a few hours or be inundated by complaints?
Surely the only way to discover if everything has been 'fixed' is to open it up to the rest of us?
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 10:41 BST (UK) »
Surely the only way to discover if everything has been 'fixed' is to open it up to the rest of us?

Not until it has been fully tested by their team and any major faults been resolved. They are really in a no win situation - they have people complaining that the site isn't up and running when they said, but if they put it up complete with faults, they would have people complaining that they should have sorted things out first.

I'm just waiting for all the moans about how it was better the old way!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 10:45 BST (UK) »
I'm just waiting for all the moans about how it was better the old way!

Oh it was, it definitely was (just thought I'd get in first  ;) )
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.