Author Topic: ScotlandsPeople (New website now live).  (Read 50056 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople(Shutdown now Wed. 21st Sept. at 23.59 until Mon. 26th Sept.2016)
« Reply #45 on: Monday 19 September 16 10:03 BST (UK) »
Interesting quote from an article by Chris Paton in this month's "Your Family History":

"This month, it ( Scotland's People) is due to be relaunched after a major make-over. New records, expected to be added in due course include parish registers from nonconformist Presbyterian churches,and kirk session records".

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople(Shutdown now Wed. 21st Sept. at 23.59 until Mon. 26th Sept.2016)
« Reply #46 on: Monday 19 September 16 11:13 BST (UK) »
Looking forward to that William  :)
Rosie

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 19 September 16 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget,   I thought I had tried that ?  but will try again :) 

xin

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople (Shutdown now Wed 21st Sept. at 23.59 until Mon 26th Sept.2016)
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 25 September 16 02:14 BST (UK) »
Out of curiosity went to see what the message was on the site, and found the new site has launched early, although as I had forgotten my password it blocked me temporarily from trying to log in again, so I'm not sure if the site is fully functional yet.

But rather annoyingly they've put the prices up for credits (30 for £7.50 and 40 for £10) as well as the number of credits needed to view images (6 instead of 5 to view BMD or Census images, not sure how the others have changed).  It sounds like they've removed the charge to view results prior to purchasing copies, but of course with the increase in credits required to view each image, they are now more expensive. :-X  While I appreciate the BMD certificates are still much cheaper than in England & Wales, it wouldn't have hurt them to have warned that the costs were increasing with the new site.

I did think about using up the credits I had with the search results I'd already paid for prior to the upgrade (being a somewhat suspicious type ;D) but in the end didn't bother.  Now wish I had. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople (Shutdown now Wed 21st Sept. at 23.59 until Mon 26th Sept.2016)
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 25 September 16 03:07 BST (UK) »
please tell me if there is an easier way to go over old searches... and that I am just not getting it.

Xin,

You can save your viewed images to your Timeline but for me, whenever I do an Index search for years, no matter what name/where, I always expand until I have enough to fill the pages of 25 per index.

I then "copy & paste" to word & each time I have actually downloaded a cert. from that particular search, I highlight it so I know I have it.

I always save the "word doc" with surname & dates "from-to" e.g. (1855-1875) so I remember which dates I've searched.

I head them in a folder under "SP SEARCHED" by Surname & then Area.
If only 1 area I put name of area in "save as" e.g. Cumming - Boisdale - Inverness - 1855-1875 (M) male or (F) Female or (M&F) Male & Female.
ADDED,  I also add (B) or (D) or (M) so I know if it's Birth/Death/Marriage.

If I want to search that name I just go to my "SP SEARCHED" & check out my lists.

Sounds time consuming but it's not.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 25 September 16 03:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Smudwhisk,

I had a feeling costs would go up but like the others, was more interested in a subscription option.

So, pre changeover we were;

£7.00 = 30 credits - (1 credit = 23p) - 1 per Index & 5 for Image - Total £1.38

New price;

£7.50 = 30 credits - (1 credit = 25p) - 1 per Index & 6 for Image - Total £1.75

Or (No reduction for larger amount) but maybe looks good  ???  ::)

£10 = 40 credits - (1 credit = 25p) - 1 per Index & 6 for Image - Total £1.75

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 25 September 16 05:10 BST (UK) »
New site is already up and running (at least on my end). From the "our charges" page:

Credits cost £0.25 each and are available in batches of 30 (£7.50) or 40 (£10) from the buy credits page. The number of credits and costs of digital images for the different record types are as follows:

Statutory registers of births (older than 100 years), marriages (older than 75 years) and deaths (older than 50 years) cost 6 credits (£1.50)
    Census returns and church registers of births and baptisms, marriages, deaths and burials and other events cost 6 credits (£1.50)
    Valuation rolls cost 2 credits (£0.50)
    Wills and testaments (including soldiers' and airmen's wills) cost 10 credits (£2.50) - this is the cost of the entire document, which is usually two or three pages, but can be more than 100 pages long
    Military Service Appeals Tribunal records cost 20 credits (£5.00) - this is the cost of the entire document which is usually about three or four pages long but can be much longer.
    Coats of Arms (entries from the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland) costs 40 credits (£10.00)

All credits are valid for two years and will expire at the end of two years unless further credits are purchased in that time.

Edit: Not ready to sign in and start using though. Got this message after one try:

Sorry, there have been too many failed login attempts from your IP address. This IP address is now temporarily blocked.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 25 September 16 09:16 BST (UK) »
Off again. The actual new cost is £1.40 as the search is now "free". Could be useful if you have a lot of possibilities and needed to look at more than one page.

Eric

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 25 September 16 09:34 BST (UK) »
New price;

£7.50 = 30 credits - (1 credit = 25p) - 1 per Index & 6 for Image - Total £1.75

Or (No reduction for larger amount) but maybe looks good  ???  ::)

£10 = 40 credits - (1 credit = 25p) - 1 per Index & 6 for Image - Total £1.75

Annie

They've removed the 1 per Index as far as I can see, so its 6 for an Image.  The same as previously if you only had one index search result but if you structured your searches so you got extra index search results for 1 credit, it works out more expensive.

I had a feeling they'd put the costs up, just had hoped they wouldn't increase the number of credits per image which sadly they have done. :-\

Sorry, there have been too many failed login attempts from your IP address. This IP address is now temporarily blocked.

Yes that's the error I got, good means its not just me and the site isn't completely up and running yet. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day