Author Topic: ScotlandsPeople (New website now live).  (Read 50269 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlands People - proposed shutdown of online service
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 08:50 BST (UK) »
I didn't receive the original email nor the one for yesterday and I'm not set to opt out of announcements either. :-\  I'm also an intermittent user of the site.

Two possibilities that I can think of ~

* Old e-mail address -   I originally registered with an e-mail address that I gave up on ages ago. When I realised I wasn't getting any messages, I checked it and then changed it to a current one.

* Might be worth checking the spam folder.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 08:53 BST (UK) »
I didn't receive the original email nor the one for yesterday and I'm not set to opt out of announcements either. :-\  I'm also an intermittent user of the site.

Two possibilities that I can think of ~

* Old e-mail address -   I originally registered with an e-mail address that I gave up on ages ago. When I realised I wasn't getting any messages, I checked it and then changed it to a current one.

* Might be worth checking the spam folder.

Neither.  I took up their free credits offer last month and got the acknowledgement email and there isn't anything in the spam folder as I access the mailbox via webmail and it would show (nor is it set to delete spam emails automatically).  The only other possibility is that my ISP's (who host the mailbox) delivery spam filter is blocking them as spam before they even hit the mailbox, but I've never known it to be that sensitive.  When I had a problem in the past with a website's announcement emails it was because their email list was out of date and didn't include my email address. :-X
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 09:04 BST (UK) »
When did you first register?

I can't remember when I registered - it must have been when they first started as I have records going back to 14/02/2003 - 511 pages  :o
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlands People(Shutdown now postponed)
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 09:58 BST (UK) »
First search results are from August 2004.  I've usually always received emails from them but not recently.  Can't remember the last time I was sent one. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 11:18 BST (UK) »
Exactly the same for me, Smudwhisk. I have not changed my e mail address and there is nothing in the spam folder. (The only thing I have changed is my password which I am prone to forgetting!). I used to receive their newsletter but have not had one for ages.

I do try to keep up to speed by reading Chris Paton's blog. He has just pointed out that there have been closures at the Scotland's People Centre over the last couple of weeks because of "system problems". Wonder if the two issues are connected.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 12:27 BST (UK) »
At the bottom of the e-mail is a section about how to opt out of e-mail. It might be worth checking in 'My Details' that yours is not checked:

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 16 September 16 17:20 BST (UK) »
Update from Scotlands People by email this afternoon -

Will now take place on Wednesday 21sy September at 23.59 until Monday 26th September.
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople(Shutdown now Wed. 21st Sept. at 23.59 until Mon. 26th Sept.2016)
« Reply #43 on: Monday 19 September 16 09:29 BST (UK) »
Oh Gadget - wow

HOW many pages ----  ;D ;D ;D ;D -
Gosh you have made me feel better, with my mean 81 searches and 39 viewed images.
I am praying we don't loose this when they update the site.

Frantically downloading images in case.

Now I too hope we get a chance to subscribe - because I know I have spent more than I should
this last month, (it was something I planned when I retired and had saved for!!!!)

I am a little slow these days and most of my pages are to do with 'Sutherland' searches...and lately Finnies  ---  so when I check to see what I have discovered.. I do find it annoying that the previous searches boxes are so limited and I end up searching again today for something I searched for in 2004-  if you understand me ??  there is just a surname or location choice... then if I have 30 odd pages of Finnies I literally have to go through the lot, aaaargh... so I often just opt for a new search, its only '1' credit... but these '1' credits mount up. 

moan over...

please tell me if there is an easier way to go over old searches... and that I am just not getting it.

Xin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople(Shutdown now Wed. 21st Sept. at 23.59 until Mon. 26th Sept.2016)
« Reply #44 on: Monday 19 September 16 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Xin

Not sure if this will help you  but you can search for Name and Location rather than Name or Location - just tick both boxes.

Also you  can search  viewed images by putting in a description - e.g. Births,

Gadget