Author Topic: ScotlandsPeople (New website now live).  (Read 50195 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople (Shutdown now Wed 21st Sept. at 23.59 until Mon 26th Sept.2016)
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 25 September 16 09:44 BST (UK) »
This happened before to me recently on another site....

I am with BT internet (firefox & chrome) and still get taken to their holding page (blue screen) which has shown for the last few days  :-\

Having withdrawals symptoms now  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople (Shutdown now Wed 21st Sept. at 23.59 until Mon 26th Sept.2016)
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 25 September 16 10:04 BST (UK) »
I am still hiding in a corner with a bag over my head -and a churning stomach - till its up and running :)
please tell me if there is an easier way to go over old searches... and that I am just not getting it.

Xin,

You can save your viewed images to your Timeline but for me, whenever I do an Index search for years, no matter what name/where, I always expand until I have enough to fill the pages of 25 per index.

I then "copy & paste" to word & each time I have actually downloaded a cert. from that particular search, I highlight it so I know I have it.

I always save the "word doc" with surname & dates "from-to" e.g. (1855-1875) so I remember which dates I've searched.

I head them in a folder under "SP SEARCHED" by Surname & then Area.
If only 1 area I put name of area in "save as" e.g. Cumming - Boisdale - Inverness - 1855-1875 (M) male or (F) Female or (M&F) Male & Female.
ADDED,  I also add (B) or (D) or (M) so I know if it's Birth/Death/Marriage.

If I want to search that name I just go to my "SP SEARCHED" & check out my lists.

Sounds time consuming but it's not.

Annie

WOW  thanks for that -- I reckon you must be a 'Leo' !! or an Aries... :)  :) :) :)  I wish I was as together and methodical...
However I will try really hard and appreciate your explanation --

xin

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 25 September 16 10:12 BST (UK) »
I just tried and got the blue screen saying the site is temporarily unavailable.

25p per credit, so 6 credits cost £1.50. Used to be £1.40 for 6 credits, so it is an increase of just over 7%, which is quite modest as it must be quite a few years since it went up from £6 to £7 for 30 credits.

You do lose out if you want to look up more than one certificate from a page of 25 index entries. If you looked up every one of a page of 25 results it will now cost 25 x 6 x £0.25 = £37.50 for 25 certificates. Previously it would have cost you £29.40 (£7/30 for the index plus 25 x 5 x £7/30 for the images), which is an increase of over 27%. For me, this is far outweighed by the indexes being free of charge.

And  it's still bargain basement compared with the GRO for England and Wales, where 25 certificates would cost you £231.25 (and give you less information), or some other countries where 25 certificates could set you back £500 or more.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 25 September 16 10:32 BST (UK) »
I agree Forfarian. There hasn't been any price increases for a long time. With the handover that is taking place, I thought the pricing structures would be worst hit.

Still remains an invaluable resource to research, at a reasonable cost with easy access.

Looking forward to seeing what has been done to the site although little change is good too!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 25 September 16 10:52 BST (UK) »
Looking forward to seeing what has been done to the site although little change is good too!

Yes. I was involved in one of the focus group discussions about the new site, and in subsequent evaluation of some visuals. I commented at the time that I was not interested in a geeky site with fancy graphics or atmospheric images that would take ages to load, and that I would much prefer the plain simple sort of presentation as it was under Brightsolid. Rumour hath that others said similar things and that CACI and NRS have listened to us, but we shall have to wait and see.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 25 September 16 11:02 BST (UK) »
You do lose out if you want to look up more than one certificate from a page of 25 index entries. If you looked up every one of a page of 25 results it will now cost 25 x 6 x £0.25 = £37.50 for 25 certificates. Previously it would have cost you £29.40 (£7/30 for the index plus 25 x 5 x £7/30 for the images), which is an increase of over 27%. For me, this is far outweighed by the indexes being free of charge.

And  it's still bargain basement compared with the GRO for England and Wales, where 25 certificates would cost you £231.25 (and give you less information), or some other countries where 25 certificates could set you back £500 or more.

I agree its still far cheaper than England & Wales GRO Certificates, something I did say in an earlier post.

Being somewhat of a cynic, I just hope they've not reduced the amount of information in the index search results for the parish registers, such as the parent's names and date of event, now that they are free to view.

Interesting, I see they have put the "holding" page back up again saying the new site will launch tomorrow.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 25 September 16 12:10 BST (UK) »
... but there's far more to SP than certificates !!

Looks as though they will continue to refuse researchers the opportunity to browse the census records and the PRs.

I live in hope that they will add subscription options today  ::)
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 25 September 16 12:19 BST (UK) »
I live in hope that they will add subscription options today  ::)

Don't we all! And that suggestion came up in every focus group session as far as I know.

However the fee structure is set by the Scottish Parliament, not by SP itself, and I have not heard anything about Parliament agreeing a subscription option.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 26 September 16 13:34 BST (UK) »
Still not up and running yet suspense is killing me  ::) ::)
Rosie