Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 162125 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #216 on: Sunday 26 February 17 21:42 GMT (UK) »

Can only see three marriages on one site

John HOOD to Jane SHARP 25 Dec 1793 St Peters Derby

John HOOD to Jane CORBETT 27 March 1797 Colchester.

And the John and Jane in Scalby which we touched upon the other week.

Maybe Mrs Jane Hood was a Quaker of a Quaker marriage to John Hood
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Sunday 26 February 17 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Its this Coo Seal, whether Armorial or Not.

George Hood is confirming it is his Seal, in the wording adjacent to it.

You can see by the way his Will is written, George is covering himself, even the wording that each of his witnesses being present and that all have witnessed his signature together, appointing an Arbitrator and signing each page etc., to ensure his children now all benefit in death.

He wouldn't then go and use an unofficial Seal would he? He would use his Family Seal.

Been looking at Coo, one PCC Will was Christopher Coo 1741 leaving his Daughter Elizabeth a sum of money and his Son Christopher Coo his Estates.

Looking for and finding other Coos too.

Search engine "Chistopher Coo" "History Online" results ...
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl#q=%22Chistopher+Coo%22+%22History+Online%22&*

What does this Scottish reference, say please?
En 1515, par exemple, des Ecossais sont capturés dans le Firth of Forth par le capitaine anglais Christopher Coo parce qu’ils saluent le bateau, qu’ils croient français, et se font repér (ARTHURSON, 1991 : 137).

Just a few thoughts.

Hitting brick walls everywhere >:( we are also bizarrely missing in a Requisitions Register.

Regards Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Sunday 26 February 17 22:43 GMT (UK) »
From my limited French it looks like the Scots/ish (Ecossais) were captured by the English captain Christopher Coo in the Firth of Forth

The rest not sure:  parce qu'ils = because they  (saluent ?)  salute the boat they thought was French, and were spotted ..... :-\
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Sunday 26 February 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »

Dobfarm ~ I went through the Selby Quaker meeting book which ended at 1786 ( as luck would have it) just to see if there was any reference at all to Hood ~ nothing.

What happened to Selby Quaker records after that ?

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Sunday 26 February 17 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Some at Leeds University library
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Sunday 26 February 17 23:33 GMT (UK) »

Dobfarm ~ I went through the Selby Quaker meeting book which ended at 1786 ( as luck would have it) just to see if there was any reference at all to Hood ~ nothing.

What happened to Selby Quaker records after that ?

Hi Claire

Thank you.

Been through page by page too of the 1780s, but since discovered from the Quaker Library, that Selby Quakers then came under York until c.1837. Then as dobfarm rightly says, Leeds University Special Collections (Brotherton).

Seems this Christopher Coo below (time of Henry VIII) was connected with the Navy / Admiralty ...

Small paper, p. 1. (277) Costs laid out for the Lezard by her captain. Signed: By me Cristofre Coo. Howard's order is dated 18 June. P. 1. (285–9) Account by Sir Thomas Wyndham of payments to the Trinyte, Mary Christopher and Mathewe, of Bristol, from 1 Feb. to 11 April 4 Hen. VIII. With Howard's warrants, dated 9 June 5 Hen. VIII., for these payments and two bills of particulars put in by the owners. The ships were taken up by Anthony Poyntz, esq., and payments received by John Shipman. Pp. 5.

Wondering if George Hood began life with the surname Coo.

For what its worth, to me George Hood's Seal is suggesting what the problem is, George Hood was a Coo, or whatever the Seal represents.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Sunday 26 February 17 23:47 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if George Hood was in the Royal Navy.

To find the records of lower Ranks and sailors, I'm told you need to know the name/s of the Ship/s first, that they served on, to find them in TNA, Kew?

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Sunday 26 February 17 23:49 GMT (UK) »
23 pages of Coe probate (or where Coe is mentioned) records 1800-1850

http://www.norfolksources.norfolk.gov.uk/DserveNS/

EDIT: There are George Hoods showing up in the British Royal Navy & Royal Marines Service And Pension Records, 1704-1919 for dates between 1800-1820

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Monday 27 February 17 00:11 GMT (UK) »
23 pages of Coe probate (or where Coe is mentioned) records 1800-1850

http://www.norfolksources.norfolk.gov.uk/DserveNS/

EDIT: There are George Hoods showing up in the British Royal Navy & Royal Marines Service And Pension Records, 1704-1919 for dates between 1800-1820

Any possible Navy matches please Claire, for Hood?

Tried Navy before. But led to believe only the higher Ranks have surviving records for our period. The remainder are found by searching the Muster of the R.N. Ship itself.

The following only covered the ships in the Battle of Trafalgar and only about two months ago, they were saying that those personnel of the ships not involved in the Battle, were not on the database.

No George Hood listed in the Battle of Trafalgar (searched with age of 20 in 1805 -/+ 5 years)
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/trafalgarancestors/advanced_search.asp?error=103&surname=Hood&firstname=George&age=20&plus_minus_years=5&rating=&search.y=10&birth_place=&ship_id=&http_referer_for_results_page=%2Ftrafalgarancestors%2Fadvanced%5Fsearch%2Easp&search.x=32

Regards Mark