Author Topic: shot in the dark  (Read 4590 times)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: shot in the dark
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 July 05 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Kevwood
all donations greatfully received, thank you. going to give my self up to this problem next Tuesday to see if I can make any head way.
Thanks Valerie

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 July 05 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi goggy

How are you well I hope.

Still on the frank Taylor trail, I bet it was horrible in that camp, poor blokes they only wanted to go home, terrible conditions

Valerie

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 04:23 BST (UK) »
Valerie1,enquired at local video store for the one I saw abt 3y.r ago,got the raspberry!Still,not ruffled I asked for a
check of the record's,no dice.That mean's a hunt on the Web,no prob's,I'm thinking I saw some name's listed on it. ;)
Yes thank you,doing A.O.K,best to you and your's.
                       Goggy.

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Goggy

Cheers

Valerie

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 14:12 BST (UK) »
This is as probably as long a shot as your long shot

All Canadian soldiers who fought in the First World war are online

http://www.genealogy.gc.ca/06/06_e.html

51 Frank Taylors I'm afraid (I didn't check Francis).

Canadian military records are very detailed even for ordinary men. I have records of men's temperature charts in hospital, as well as their dental records.

Also online are Canadian soldiers' courtmartials. One Frank Taylor was court-martialed in 1919

Frank Taylor 43 rd Battalion Sergeant no 859457 date of birth 15 January 1893.

You could order the courtmartial records to see whether he was in Kinmel or go for broke and order the court-martial records and his army attestation papers. Or better still you could throw yourself on the mercy of the Canadian archivists with the background story and see whether they will just check the court-martial record to see whether it relates to Kinmel.
Even if it does this of course doesn't prove it is the right Frank Taylor.

I think I just made your Tuesday deadline!

Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda

Thank you for such a detailed reply, I have tried the Canadian government before very helpful but without any regiment etc to go on they could,nt help.
I really need to know the dates the 51 one were discharged and that info isn't on line, I suppose i could hire a researcher but i am worried about November 1919 I think its quite late for the Canadians to still be here.

I read about a  Frank Taylor being Court martial-ed but did not have his details thanks for those I will investigate him.

I don't think I will pin him down 100% but if I got close I might chance my arm if I could find his family after all it was a long time ago he is like an itch that wont go away.

I did not get much further yesterday .

Thanks once again I knew a valda once we worked together in Milton Keynes had to ask is not a name you hear a lot of.
Kind regards

Valerie

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 10:12 BST (UK) »
I  found the Canadian National Archives incredibly helpful and they sent me copies of all the army records I requested promptly and quickly. I requested the attestation papers from the information supplied in the online index. I didn't need to supply any further information. I haven't sent for any of the court-martial records so I don't know what information is contained in those records.
I don't know anything about the Canadian Government, as in the Ministry of Defence. I would think they would refer you back to the National Archives for First World One army soldiers records. If a soldier's records from the archives proves helpful, the Ministry of Defence might be able to give a slightly more up to date address for the soldier, but its still going to be a very old address.

Sergeant Frank Taylor was court-martialled for something to do with guarding a prisoner or prisoners. Since the court-martial was in 1919 he may still have been in this country as he was obviously still in the army in 1919.

His attestation papers say he was born in Scotland (most Canadian First World War soldiers seem to have been born in Britain somewhere). He could of course have left Scotland when he was very young. He was born there in 1893 and lived in Winnipeg Manitoba. Does any of this information make him seem a likely candidate?
I have used Canadian researchers in the past and I have found them, efficient and thorough and actually cheaper (at the time) than their English counterparts.

It does say on this website that the last soldiers from the Kinmel Park riots (who were sentenced to 10 years) were allowed to return to Canada by November 1919.

http://www.busybus.co.uk/answer1.htm

Somebody I suppose had to guard them?

Regards
Valda

P.S. my surname is very much Buckinghamshire in origin, but my paternal line left the county in 1844 and we haven't been back since.

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 August 05 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda

Found the time to study your reply dated 3 August, Have been on Canadian archives looking at army records, can I ask you where you found the info on Frank and his court martialled.

The piece on Kinmel camp was very intresting poor guys

Regards Valerie

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 August 05 15:20 BST (UK) »
The website I gave in my first email lists the databases online. This is the direct link to the court-martial database from that web page.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02010702_e.html

Enter Frank Taylor
and you get

Court Martials of the First World War
Name: Taylor, Frank 
Regimental number: 859457 
Unit: 43rd Bn 
Date: 1919 
Offence: 20(2) 
Remarks: 
Reference: RG150 - Ministry of the Overseas Military Forces of Canada , series 8 , File 649-T-2343 , microfilm reel number T-8683 , file access code 90 , finding aid number 150-5 

If you then click online help, it explains what the numbers mean next to offence -as in the 20(2) next to Frank's name.

Offences in Relation to Persons in Custody
Section 20 covered officers and men who had been given the task of guarding prisoners. Such men could be charged for releasing a prisoner without the proper authority; or allowing a prisoner to escape.
Section 22 covered attempting to escape from custody.

Regards
Valda