Author Topic: shot in the dark  (Read 4589 times)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
shot in the dark
« on: Sunday 24 July 05 17:30 BST (UK) »
This is a last resort in the hunt for my grandfather Frank (Francis) Taylor.
A soldier who was alive and kicking in November 1919 and waiting to go home (where home is I have no idea) he was at an army transit camp.
The name of the camp was Kinmel camp, the camp was in Wales and is well known for housing thousands of Canadian soldiers, there was also a riot among the Canadian soldiers who wanted to go home after suffering the turmoil of War in far flung countries only to see there American buddies going home before them but I digress the Canadians to the best of my knowledge had gone home by Nov 1919.

So if there is any one with a family member named Frank Taylor and you know he was in Wales in 1919 could you contact me, I have no other info on him except that my grandmother Jane who came from Wales had a child by him

Well someone has to win the lottery maybe I can with this search which I have posted everywhere and have appealed to the fantastic site The great war forum and have had lots of help but no joy

Thanks Valerie

Please note corresponding posts:
SCOTLAND: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=75848.msg313690#msg313690
ENGLAND: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,75075.0.html

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: shot in the dark
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 July 05 20:31 BST (UK) »
Valerie

You can find out what medals were issued to soldiers in the 1st World War and underneath is the address to search.
You really need to know his regiment as there are 195 with the name although this does include soldiers with 2 or more names as well. You might then find additional information although I do not know if you are given any address. If you can trace the regiment it might be possible to find some info from the regimental association. It includes Canadians etc in the list and obviously that would reduce the names to look at.

A tough one - good luck.
peterej

link to relevant National Archives page
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 July 05 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Peterej

Thank you so much for this infomation, am I right in assuming that this means that one of the men listed is my grandfather?

How I go about finding if one or more were in Kinmel is another story but if one of them is my grandfather I am one step nearer even if it is a small step.

Thank You

Valerie

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 July 05 19:47 BST (UK) »
Valerie

All who served in the 1st WW would have received a medal(s). You mentioned the Canadian soldiers - was your grandfather Canadian as if so this would reduce the likely regiments. If not it will obviously be difficult. I think the army still use Kinmel for training and it might be possible to find out which regiments used the camp then. If not you may be able to write to all the different Regimental associations but these will have changed over the years. The internet may help.
Can anyone in the family help? Did he have any other name? Normally men served in local regiments although this is not always the case. I had a great Uncle from North Wales who served in a Yorkshire regiment!
If you paid the £3.50 I have a feeling it will only tell you what medals were issued although I am not sure of this and in any case you need to choose your best guess otherwise it will be a lot of £3.50's to spend.
It may be an idea to phone the National Archives if you can.

It may be worth looking at Cyndi's list UK military to see if there are any links which would help. See below
http://www.cyndislist.com/miluk.htm#Finding

I don't know how else you can find out as the name is not uncommon enough.

Peterej
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
& more

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 05 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Peterej

I have no info on him other then his name and where he was in 1919, thought for a long time he may have been Canadian but think they had all gone by November 1919,My grandmother died twelve Weeks after having my mother, and as she was dying she gave this info to Dr Barnardo's so I am under no illusions how hard this search is and it can never be conclusively be proved, but I would love to get a little nearer.
Thank you for the best help

Valerie

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 05 22:35 BST (UK) »
Valerie

Its a pleasure.

Just in case he was Canadian I have dug up the site below which is the 1911 Canada census. I have not checked through to see what info can be gleaned. It will also point you in the direction of Canadian military. It looks like they will help on-line.

You never know.

Peterej

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/1911/index-e.html
plus
& more

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 July 05 22:40 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 July 05 04:41 BST (UK) »
Valerie1,no help I'm afraid, just like you to know that I watched a video on the subject of the mutiny+the reason's for it.
ALL Canadian,s as far as I could understand.

Good Luck!!Goggy.

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 July 05 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Peterej
Thanks for the Canadian lead have been down that route, very nice people but need more info on Franks regiment

Valerie