Author Topic: Look Up for birth or any siblings of Ralph Patterson abt 1815 Tweedmouth?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look Up for birth or any siblings of Ralph Patterson abt 1815 Tweedmouth?
« on: Sunday 27 November 16 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A relative of my husband and I are having a few problems tracking down Ralph Patterson and his family. Ralph was married to 2 Marys which only adds to the confusion. Any help would be much appreciated as we seem to be going round and circles with him.

This is what we know so far Ralph Patterson married Mary Blain from Elford about 1835. They had 5 sons George born 1836, Edward born 1840, Robert born 1842, Ralph Pigg born 1845 and James born 1848. They all seem to be baptised around the Ford area. I haven`t found the marriage between Ralph and Mary but my husbands relative has the birth certificate for Robert Patterson which has Mary Blain mother and Ralph Patterson father.
On the 1841 and 1851 census he was living in Ford Northumberland, According to the census he was born abt 1815. The 1851 census and 1861 census have his place of birth as Tweedmouth. We cant find any record of his birth  :(

Mary must die sometime between 1851 and 1852 but I cant find any record

On 14th November 1852 Ralph marries Mary Emery in Ford. My husbands relative has the marriage certificate. Ralph is a widower and Mary a spinster. Ralphs fathers name is George Patterson a pitman and Mary`s is George Emery a pitman. Witnesses were John Patterson and Phillis Emery. Ralph and Mary his 2nd wife went on to have 10 children William 1854, Thomas 1855, Charles 1856, Mary 1857, Charles 1858, Jane 1860, Elizabeth 1862, John 1863, Margaret 1866 and Frances Isabella in 1868.

By 1861 Ralph and Mary were living in Netherton Northumberland where Ralph was a wasteman at Nedderton Colliery where on 25th of October 1867 Ralph was tragically killed by a fall of stone.

The marriage certificate for Ralph dosent say that George is deceased in 1852 so we would like to find any siblings if any or a birth for Ralph would be great. A death for his first wife for our records. Any help would be brill  ;D

Susan

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Look Up for birth or any siblings of Ralph Patterson abt 1815 Tweedmouth?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 November 16 22:42 GMT (UK) »
The Northumberland marriage index 1813 - 1837 doesn't show a marriage for Ralph and the first Mary.  Is there any chance that they might have been Presbyterian and hopped over the border?

If so, this might mean widening the search for his baptism.

Christine

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 November 16 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Suggest you have a look at the new gro indexes where mother's maiden name is recorded. Their sons' births all seem to have been recorded in Glendale Union, apart from Edward recorded in Berwick-upon-Tweed. (There is also a birth for a daughter Jane with mothers maiden name Blain in Glendale Union Jan - Mar 1838).

There is a death of a Mary Patterson Jan -Mar 1852 in the Glendale Union.Age 38.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 16 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Suggest you have a look at the new gro indexes where mother's maiden name is recorded. Their sons' births all seem to have been recorded in Glendale Union, apart from Edward recorded in Berwick-upon-Tweed. (There is also a birth for a daughter Jane with mothers maiden name Blain in Glendale Union Jan - Mar 1838).

There is a death of a Mary Patterson Jan -Mar 1852 in the Glendale Union.Age 38.

Thank you William. I never knew that Ralph and his first wife had a daughter. She wasn`t on any of the census records so she may have died in infancy. I also couldn`t find Mary`s death so that confirms it. You`re a star  :)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 16 00:20 GMT (UK) »
The Northumberland marriage index 1813 - 1837 doesn't show a marriage for Ralph and the first Mary.  Is there any chance that they might have been Presbyterian and hopped over the border?

Christine

I would not be surprised if they were prebyterians Christine  ::)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 December 16 13:09 GMT (UK) »

Christine

Hi Christine

I have been digging around and came across a birth for a Sarah Patterson baptised 1827 in Etal Prebytarian church born in Ford to George Patterson and wife Mary and also John Patterson born 1829 in the same church.

In 1841 I think they may have lived in Duddo with parents George and Mary and siblings Robert, Thomas, and Ann.

I cant find either of them in 1851 but in 1861 Sarah is married to James Gibbinson and living in Seaton Delavel and John her brother is staying with them.

I have come across a tree on ancestry with a Mary Patterson born 1823 in Tweedmouth with one sibling Robert Patterson born 1818 in Tweedmouth. Mary was his g great grandmother and she married Robert Davison or Davidson. In 1851 they lived in Seaton Delavel and in 1861 they lived in Netherton. Robert Patterson her brother lived nearby with his wife Martha. Coincidently one of Roberts sons is called Ralph.

His g grandmother and family emmigrated to the USA where she died in pennsylvania in 1909. On the pennsylvania death certificate on ancestry it has her mothers name was Mary Pigg and fathers name Ches Patterson but wondered if it should be George.

Well I wondered about the name Pigg and where it had come from as Ralph Pattersons son was called Ralph Pigg Patterson and if he was called after his grandmother this would make sense.

I have found a Mary Pigg born 1786 in Ford baptised in Etal presbytarian church and parents names were Ralph and Ann Pigg. Thia could be where the name Ralph has come from. Its a bit like a jigsaw puzzle with bits missing lol :-\

Susan

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 December 16 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to fit bits of your jigsaw together but got a bit lost off at the 'His g grandmother....'

What was her name and do you have age at death?

Christine

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 December 16 15:50 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to fit bits of your jigsaw together but got a bit lost off at the 'His g grandmother....'

What was her name and do you have age at death?

Christine

Hi Christine

I`ve been in touch with the tree holder and hes given me the certifcate which has the following information on

Place of Death - Wark, county of Robinson, commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Full Name- Mary Davidson
D.o.b= Sept 18 1823
D.o.d= April 24 1909
Aged 84 years 6 Months 10 days
Widow
Birthplace-England
Name of Father- Geo Patterson
Birthplace of father- England
Name of Mother -Mary Pigg
Birthplace of Mother= England
Cause of Death- General Prostration with Bronchitus to do with old age
Informant- Andrew Davidson

Mary Patterson was his 2nd great grandmother. She was married to Robert Davidson tho he hasnt found the marriage. In 1851 they were living in Seaton Delavel and in 1861 they were living in Nedderton. The census has place of birth as Tweedmouth which is where Ralph Patterson is from. I know that from Ralphs wedding to his 2nd wife Mary Emery that Ralphs fathers names George Patterson and his 1st son to his 1st wife was called George. There was a George and Mary Patterson living in Ford. If Georges wife was called Mary Pigg then it would fit in nicely with Ralphs son born in 1845 who was named Ralph Pigg Patterson. Also Mary Pigg was born 1786 in Ford and her fathers name was Ralph.

If anyone could help that would be brilliant

Susan

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 December 16 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I think this is going to have to wait until the new year - I will be surrounded by family as of tomorrow, which is lovely but does not lend itself to genealogical puzzles  ;D

Someone else may come along in the meantime but otherwise I'll be back later - Happy Christmas  :)

Christine