Author Topic: Gordon Blair - Mystery? or Not!  (Read 34454 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Blair - Mystery? or Not!
« Reply #207 on: Thursday 13 April 17 03:13 BST (UK) »
Two Blair signatures for comparison.

Perhaps OzScot may have access to a scanner and perhaps could scan Gordon's signature from Elizabeth's 1863 Qld birth registration to see any deteriorations in that short timeframe.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Thursday 13 April 17 03:21 BST (UK) »
Um, it does look like a capital D.

Added: the small d in the top signature was the style of d I thought the second appears to be.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Thursday 13 April 17 03:31 BST (UK) »
In decades of transcribing 19th century documents, I have ..... errr ..... never ever seen a capital D in that position in any person's name .... never.   I have seen strangely constructed letters, inversed, inverted etc, but a capital D as in say the title Don (Don Quixote etc comes to mind) within a name as Scottish as Gordon BLAIR ....   

I love family history, something new to learn every day !

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Thursday 13 April 17 03:51 BST (UK) »
I am offering this ;D
The final r in the word Blair  are not the same form.
The earlier signature uses a form which consists of a very small loop to the left of a  squared off top and dropped ending. It is not used today. Gordon has made an imperfect use of this form.

The second signature uses a form of r still recognizable and in use today.

To me the d in Gordon is the same in both instances. The looped rise appears in both. It is unusual. I do not see either of the d 's as upper case.

The slant of the hand is diminished in the second instance.

I personally, cannot make a conclusion ???

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Thursday 13 April 17 04:15 BST (UK) »

The G stands very tall, the D is same height as B.  The D's initial downstroke runs off the r and so to come back to form the D the writer carries up and across, and then back down to meet that initial downstroke before moving on for the o which then runs into the n which in turn then runs into the capital B which rushes off into the l without going completely back to the base of the B, but clearly it is a capital B.  And so just as that B is capitalised, I see the D as capitalised.   

I cannot say that the J Gordon Blair's signature is from same hand as Gordon Blair's signature, but I cannot say it is not, so I agree with Sue .... no conclusion, so I am hoping Gordon's signature on Elizabeth's birth cert is available.

Of course, errr .... Jane Novral may have had a male friend attend to register the 1857 birth .....  ::)

JM

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Thursday 13 April 17 04:33 BST (UK) »
Just back.

The 1863 BC of baby Elizabeth Blair whilst it is badly blurred being a copy of a copy
and looks as it has been played around with to enlarge it, would be totally useless for a
signature comparison apart from that, as the piece I have has 3 births on it and they
are well done exactly in the same hand.

The witness was Mr/s?. Hogan & registrar appears to be Mr/s. Hendren

Age of Gordon 31yrs & Julia 25yrs.

I got the BC from a lady's tree on Ancestry and I think earlier I gave her the credit.
It will be there and easily found I suspect if anyone wants to see and if you agree or not.
Ewing, McKinnon, Sproul, Sanderson, Douglas, Quince, Lyell, Sharp.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Thursday 13 April 17 04:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, the image purchased today from Qld BDM for Isabella has five births on it, all in the same hand, that of the registrar EXCEPT for the section where the informant is required to sign, and so each informant has either signed or made their mark. 

JM

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Thursday 13 April 17 04:40 BST (UK) »
Is that now a 4th Marriage date/year we now have for Gordon Blair & Julie Droughton?

1862, 1863, 1864 & 1876. ??

If so the answer's a pineapple.

Can't wait to hear back from the churches. Has that been two days of waiting now?

In my little dog's time it is.  :)
Ewing, McKinnon, Sproul, Sanderson, Douglas, Quince, Lyell, Sharp.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Thursday 13 April 17 04:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry that you can't wait to hear back from the churches, but family history matters. 

JM