Author Topic: Gordon Blair - Mystery? or Not!  (Read 34470 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Blair - Mystery? or Not!
« Reply #252 on: Monday 17 April 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
If we accept that this Gordon Blair is the brother of Mrs Jane Marks formerly Kippen maiden name Blair who died aged 78 on 1897 then Gordon is the boy recorded aged 15 on the 1841 Census at Cambusbarron in St Ninians parish Stirling -  and then 23 on the 1851 Census in Glasgow then Gordon was 65 or over in October 1893.
However he had given dates of birth in Australia which made him several years younger. Perhaps his true age had somehow come to light....hence the hint of his retirement being a surprise.   

Looby :)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Monday 17 April 17 17:55 BST (UK) »
then Gordon was 65 or over in October 1893.
Looby :)

I think his age was an inconvenient number  :P
15 in the 1841 census gives us an age range of 15 - 19 (birth dates 1821/22 - 1826)
23 in the 1851 census gives us a birth date around 1828
claimed birth date of 1833
and then it starts getting interesting  ;D

With regard to the retirement given what little actual facts we have it is possible to dream up multiple scenarios each of which would appear plausible - for example as his son was a prominent figure - could there have been a political motive behind the panels decision to enforce the regulation ? or could it be that he was just getting on in years and not as physically or as mentally  fit  as he once was. Or even just that someone with connections wanted his job.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Monday 17 April 17 18:16 BST (UK) »
Jane Kippen was living on her own in 1851 with her 6 month son William. They were at 6 Toll Street, Logierait, Perthshire and she was age 28, Joiner's wife, born Perthshire. Her husband James was lodging at 75 Dunkeld Road, Bankfoot, Perthshire age 28, a Wright, born Fortingall, Perthshire. According to Findmypast he was unmarried but this may be a misreading of the original. The passenger list for the William Miles says he was the son of James and Susan Kippen and there is a matching birth in 1822 in Fortingall to James Kippen and Susan Sinclair who married in Fortingall in 1821.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 00:40 BST (UK) »
..... In Scotland at that time to be described as a WRITER did mean that you were a qualified and practicing Solicitor. See my summary at reply 145.

Many thanks Falkyrn. 

Rhetorical question again ....

So, would solicitors be listed together under the one heading in the Glasgow professional directories in the 1850s?   

So, may I reiterate and perhaps re-word what may well be the crux of the puzzle .... James Gordon BLAIR, writer, is he/could he be a different person from Gordon BLAIR, labourer.... 

Surely dots do need to join up, particularly as our OP is preparing this research for his friend, who is a descendant of Gordon and Julia BLAIR of Ipswich ... otherwise it is ummm.... not good research.

JM   

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 01:05 BST (UK) »
And, a further (probably another rhetorical) question ....

If you were a qualified solicitor and you migrated from Scotland to Queensland in the 1860s, why would you avoid practising as a solicitor in Qld....   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 02:35 BST (UK) »
Birth information Blair - Norval children and some timeline:

Marriage 7 June 1850. OPR - Gordon Blair clerk in Glasgow & Jane Norval residing there.

Georgina Lorimer Blair born 15 Nov 1850. OPR - Gordon Blair clerk 18 Clyde st Calton & Jane Norval
                                         had a lawful daughter 1st child. witnesses Thomas Scot, James Norval.

Census 1851 7 April - Gordon Blair - Head - M - 23 solicitor's clerk Stirlingshire - St.Ninians
                                       Jane Blair - Wife - M - 21 Lanarkshire - Glasgow
                                       Georgina - dau - 4 m  - Lanarkshire - Glasgow       

Unnamed child boy born 10 July 1852 - [F] Gordon Blair [M] Jane Norval - from FamilySearch.

James Gordon Blair born 13 Dec 1853. OPR - [F] Gordon Blair [M] Jane Norval - only document I
                                        could find was unreadable. Transcript only.

Jane Blair born 15 Jan 1855 - 116 Thistle st. Gordon Blair - clerk - 26 yrs Stirling - 1 female living
                                        3 boys [unreadable] Jane Blair MS Norval - Informant Gordon Blair ...
                                        and it looks as though he 'signed' it that way even though faint.

James Gordon Blair born 10 July 1856 - 4 Wellcroft Place Glasgow - James Gordon Blair writer - this
                                        is the 1st use of 'writer'. Jane Blair MS Norval. She is the informant and
                                        mother and it appears as though it could be her signature? not 100%
                                        certain but 'Blair' may have started as 'N' and overwritten by a 'B'.
                                        Her mistake? Also 1st use of 'James' was it a registrar mistake?

Thomas Gordon Blair born 27 Sep 1857 - 8 Crawford st. Glasgow. James Gordon Blair writer - Jane
                                       Blair MS Norval. Informant - J Gordon Blair father and it's looking much 
                                       like a signature but ... it appears that the 'J' has been squeezed in later.                             

Ewing, McKinnon, Sproul, Sanderson, Douglas, Quince, Lyell, Sharp.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 03:16 BST (UK) »
If you were a qualified solicitor and you migrated from Scotland to Queensland in the 1860s, why would you avoid practising as a solicitor in Qld....   

Equally, why would someone/anyone of that calibre have so many discrepancies in their general personal details, simple questions with dates/places  :-\

If this is the 'James Gordon' when did he either 'drop' the James or 'acquire' the James & why the changes  :-\

James does feature in his family but I'm still confused by the differing of his birth bet. 1826 & 1833 as that's a big difference from someone in a 'Legal' position & can/should be able to count  :-\

Not to mention the differing places of birth, why if it's the same person?

I actually do believe this 'could' be the same person as the Gordon married to Jane Norval.

Very coincidental that he disappears & she is down as a 'widow' although a death for that era is a hit or a miss but it is strange that 'a' Gordon (from Scotland) is now in Aus with same job, having children but doesn't marry the mother until the 7 yr official 'no correspondence/unknown whereabouts' date is up  :-\

He seems to 'abide by the law' on that issue if nothing else  ;D

He's 'all there & a bit more' when it 'suits'  ???

None-the-less, great thread & would love to see something finally proving/disproving whether this is indeed the same person.

This has me so intrigued, better than reading a book & can't wait for the next installment & keeping me from sleeping out of curiosity of what you sleuths come up with  :D

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 03:42 BST (UK) »
Re Jane a Widow as per 1861 ..... but no sighting of a burial for her husband in Scotland .... so did he die or did he flee ...

Could he have died serving the Empire .... Crimea War perhaps .... firstly of course he would have needed to enlist .... were there Scottish regiments?

JM

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 03:43 BST (UK) »
Such a pity we can't find the death of Jane Norval.

I think the middle name of dau Georgina Lorimer Blair may give a clue to something which may/may not determine a possible link?

I do know that there was some connection in Perth (City), Scotland with a Soft Drinks Company (Factory), the name Peter Lorimer comes to mind who may even have had connections with alcohol (John Blair being a Vintner), I really don't know?
It's the Perth connection I'm wondering about?
It was in my own time but may have gone back decades?

I know of a Rootschatter who may be able to help with this so will PM him!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"