Author Topic: William James THOMAS  (Read 9031 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: William James THOMAS
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 20 July 17 03:13 BST (UK) »
Courier and Advertiser, Dundee Scotland, Mon 22 Jan 1934 pg 4
… On Saturday Jim Winters, the Scots cruiser champion, opposes Billy THOMAS the middle and cruiser champion of New Zealand …

Aberdeen Press Sept 5, 1936
American Boxers for Aberdeen.
Kayo Morgan to meet Billy Thomas of Wales …

The principal item is a meeting between Kayo Morgan, the sensational American bantam-weight ….. and ‘Darkie’ Billy Thomas of Wales …. Thomas who will be making his initial appearance in Scotland, …

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 20 July 17 04:46 BST (UK) »
From this website,  Billy THOMAS boxing career record, noting the location for each bout.
http://boxrec.com/boxer/40942 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Welsh_boxing_champions

Another RChatter seeking info on Billy Thomas, boxer from Wales.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=769497.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 20 July 17 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Ros and JM
The fight reports listed for Billy Thomas are all correct; that is the Billy Thomas in question. 

However, the meeting between Kayo Morgan, the American bantam-weight ….. and ‘Darkie’ Billy Thomas of Wales …. Thomas who will be making his initial appearance in Scotland, … is for a different Billy Thomas - we have had a few boxers named 'Billy Thomas' in Wales sometimes the nickname is the only way to identify the correct one.

With regards to the Billy Thomas in this topic he was nicknamed Farlap by his 'Australian' supporters due to his speed in the ring; 'Welsh Wizard' is another but never known as 'Darkie'.  Aside from that Billy's match with Jim Winters at Glasgow, on January 27 1934  was his initial appearance in Scotland.

Regards Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 20 July 17 07:19 BST (UK) »
Phar Lap was a very famous horse. 
https://museumvictoria.com.au/pharlap/ 

JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 20 July 17 07:40 BST (UK) »
Just looking again at Alex ARCHIBALD who was with the family in School Lane as mentioned.

So...... he was not the one of the name who died in 1947 ;D

But I think he was another brother to Mary.

The Electoral Roll shows Alexander ARCHIBALD at Balgownie to 1937 where he lived with George ARCHIBALD and two named Thomas ARCHIBALD at Brokers Road. All are miners.

I am uncertain of a sighting between this time and 1943 , but in 1943 he is listed with Thomas ARCHIBALD and his wife Margaret Baird ARCHIBALD (HD). His occupation is grinder while Thomas is a gardener. Address Isis Street Parramatta.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EXMOUTH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 20 July 17 08:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information.
Roy -I have a record of my Grandfather Billy Thomas travelling on the Orsova to Australia in 1929.
Does anyone have any more information about "Slam Sullivan"?also would there have been accommodation at the gym for them?
I'm interested because my son lived at one time in Freo and I think this building was nearby.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 20 July 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=6079&p=localities.oceania.australia.nsw.general

Re the name of Slam's Gymnasium. In 1909 & 1910 Slam worked at the Barry Dock 'Wonderlands' Gymnasium Club at 25 Holton Rd, Barry Dock. When he came to Australia he had a gymnasium at 'Newstead House' 229 Castlereagh Street Sydney and also at Uncle Bill Calnan's Gymnasium at 29A Flinders Street Darlinghurst, Sydney.His business card reads: "The only training quarters in Australia where both Business Men and Boxers are catered for under the personal supervision of Slam Sullivan." He also trained boxers at his own house at 50 Annette Street Oatley, in the Sydney suburbs, where he had a large room set up for training. His block of land was a waterfront to Oatley Bay and here he had a boxing ring built for training matches.

Ros
adding : There is an e-mail address on there for people to contact the lady who has a lot of photos and information including all slam's papers.
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 20 July 17 08:52 BST (UK) »
JM; Yes, it was Phar Lap not Farlap - just woke up, sleepy eyes
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 20 July 17 08:55 BST (UK) »
Exmouth: I have the record of the trio Billy Thomas, Tancy Morgan and Freddie Welsh travelling on the Orsova to Australia in 1929.  I am also making a record of all his fights.  I will check my files later for any info on Slam Sullivan.

Regards, Roy