Author Topic: Challis  (Read 8425 times)

Offline peter winn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Challis
« Reply #54 on: Monday 04 September 17 20:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry forgot, there are no cetificates of any kind. The lady that took the bible took them as well.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 04 September 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
 ;D Peter, answer all the questions, is there another Rosamond Challis West out there b c 1858?
Keyboard86

No certificates of any kind, so who has the death certicate for Rosamond Challis Booth?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peter winn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 06:46 BST (UK) »
Nobody. Her grandson married again when is was very old and he had verything and his widow refused to give us the documents e.g. Birth, death certificates Family Bible so we have absolutely nothing. SHe is long dead. I think Rosamond must have had a son beccause in the 70s there was a relative Betty Booth who lived with her mother and she must have been close (relative?) as she travelled a long way to my mothers funeral.. There are photos from before the war showing Betty so from the age point of view I don't know if she is the granddaughter or great-granddaughter.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 08:11 BST (UK) »
Nobody. Her grandson married again when is was very old and he had verything and his widow refused to give us the documents e.g. Birth, death certificates Family Bible so we have absolutely nothing.

Not many of us are lucky enough to have had certificates passed on to us and have had to purchase them to back up our research as we have also started with nothing.  If you really want to establish that what has been posted here is accurate this is what you will have to do.  We can only work on indexes and if we are lucky parish registers that are online.  One of the 'rules' of family history is never believe what you are told, always check it  ;D

I would suggest that you make a 'tree' from the information on this post then come back with your queries.  You are asking about 'Betty Booth' also Mr Booth? Rosamond Challis Booth's husband and Frederick Charles Whitten her son-in-law.  See what you can find by using GRO indexes on their website & freebmd you could probably see the answers yourself.  When you have done this come back to us with your queries we will be happy to help.

GRO website
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Freebmd
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Rosie  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi again, you asked earlier if the birth date of say Thomas Matthew West could be incorrect, there is a death of a Thomas M West Dec qtr 1928 Lambeth 1d 226 aged 71, his sister on 1861 census at home with Godfrey & Mary was Maria Mary b March qtr 1859 Lewisham, being January to March registration, it could even be she was born in December 1858?

When Maria Mary West aged 19 married a William Charles Barratt 20 occ Farrier 10th June 1878 St Dunstan in the East her father was Godfrey occ Harness Maker, one of the witnesses looks to be a Rosamond Challis West?
Maria Mary Barratt in 1939 was born 8th January 1859 and died in Southwark 1942 aged 83

So if Thomas Matthew West was born 4th July 1857 ( Sept qtr registration) and Maria Mary West b 8th January 1859 ( March qtr registration) how can Rosamond be born either 14th June 1857 or 1858?
Keyboard86

EDIT Also noted when Thomas Matthew West married Jane Taylor in 1877, the witnesses were Fredk Booth and Rose West

Offline peter winn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks I have started a tree we wil see what  happens.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks I have started a tree we wil see what  happens.
Look at my amendment above!
Keyboard86

Offline peter winn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 15:33 BST (UK) »
Will do. Pause  for today just arrived in our flat  near Malaga 34 Cel. Now must go shopping.

Offline peter winn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 29 September 17 13:55 BST (UK) »
Back from hols I think I will have to start again. There are too many iffs.