Author Topic: margaret buchanan  (Read 437 times)

Offline Susanne Buchanan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
margaret buchanan
« on: Saturday 11 November 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for Margaret Buchanan mentioned in the Todd/Buchanan mystery recently. She appears in the 1841 census with son David in Edinburgh as financially independant. She was born in 1811 in Stirling and was apparentally married in the 1840s to a minister. The trail goes dead and she does not appear in the 1851 census probably married by then. Her children were Margaret, Mary and David. I momentarily thought her husband was Thomas Calderwood both buried in Dean cemetery but not so. Any help would be much appreciated and many thanks in advance. She was the mistress of Charles Todd but lived with him at Bridge of Allan as Mrs Todd. Charle's sister Arther lived at Kelso and appeared to be a guardian of the children for society's sake I presume. The children all had second marriages at Kelso and I wondered was that so Margaret could attend. We do not know if there was a friendship between Margaret and Arther. Charles died in 1840.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: margaret buchanan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 17 22:40 GMT (UK) »
This appears to be the 'Todd/Buchanan mystery' for other information:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=760630.0

Offline Susanne Buchanan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: margaret buchanan
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 17 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chempat
That is the correct information thank you. Margaret does not want to be found. Reclusive in life and death. Her descendants hope she had some input with her grandchildren but society values may have prevented that too.