Author Topic: I have important documents and I want your help  (Read 12261 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I have important documents and I want your help
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 06 June 19 21:10 BST (UK) »
From what I remember from 2 years ago, it was a case of mistaken identity caused by the Anglicization of names, the use of google translate or something similar and trying to match an online tree of another family to his. At the time of Gaming's relatives being in the north of England after 1901, there was a large Yemeni community, many of whom had the same or similar names and occupations.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/history-south-shields-yemeni-community-9678954

Gaming's grandfather was the person in the documents but not the person who married and died in England in the 1920's. None of the other family events known to Gaming were found in records in England & Wales.

For Gaming to have progressed his family tree, he needed to consult with records held outside of England & Wales
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline mopea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 09 June 19 17:29 BST (UK) »
I can't answer that because I don't know sources of the documents.
As I understood it, "Gaming" is a grandchild of a man called Chief Ahmed. However, one document shows a different name.
Do you recognise either of the portraits?
As the discussion continued, the feeling seemed to be that there were 2 individuals.

Hello,  I realize that this discussion is two years old and not ongoing by the original poster.  I was pleased to see the two photos, as in my research I didn't have any photos.  My family and I definitely believe that the first (black and white photo) is the correct one of Chief Ahmed because of the resemblance to my Aunt.  The sepia photo may well be Gaming's family.  But after having studied the documents that he put up, the blue Canadian discharge book, 6694, it describes the features of the seaman and you will note it says "scar on forehead".  So if you look at the black and white photo posted it clearly shows a scar on forehead, and the sepia photo does not.  This leads me to believe that some of the paperwork belongs to "our" Chief Ahmed, and may have been appropriated after his death in 1928.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 09 June 19 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
I previously spent a lot of time on this, as did a number of others.     

? Who is     
"x Ahmed" ( b22/7/1904 who was living with Mary J Ahmed (+2 others, Liverpool) ?     

(AB) Seaman - last voyage 5/8/39 "Gemstone" No 35045)

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Sunday 09 June 19 20:03 BST (UK) »

As they are all deceased, if you have them, please post what detail is on the marriage certificate and on the birth certificate of the deceased child.     

Please also post the detail of Mary J's death registration?     

Thanks     

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

Offline mopea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Sunday 09 June 19 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

? Who is     
"x Ahmed" ( b22/7/1904 who was living with Mary J Ahmed (+2 others, Liverpool) ?     

Sorry don't understand the question here.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Sunday 09 June 19 22:01 BST (UK) »
  My family and I definitely believe that the first (black and white photo) is the correct one of Chief Ahmed because of the resemblance to my Aunt.  The sepia photo may well be Gaming's family.  But after having studied the documents that he put up, the blue Canadian discharge book, 6694, it describes the features of the seaman and you will note it says "scar on forehead".  So if you look at the black and white photo posted it clearly shows a scar on forehead, and the sepia photo does not.  This leads me to believe that some of the paperwork belongs to "our" Chief Ahmed, and may have been appropriated after his death in 1928.

The sepia photo seems to be from Certificate of Registration which has date April 1925. See Reply # 78 by Elwyn on this thread. We don't know when the photograph was taken -  whether it was a brand new picture or one he already had. It seems to be of a very young man.
The seaman's documents on the other thread were issued in 1926. He had 8 months to acquire a scar. I imagine that injuries to seamen were not uncommon. Onshore, there was a report of him having a fight (1931), so he may have got a scar in a previous fight. The seaman's logbook page  began January 1926 and went on for a few years.
The mark between his eyes on the other man's photo may be a furrow rather than a scar.
Cowban

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sunday 09 June 19 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Mopea
I will re-phrase     

?Do you know anything about     
"Amid Ahmed"  who was living with Mary J Ahmed (+2 others, Liverpool) 
(AB) Seaman - voyage 5/8/39 "Gemstone" No 35045)

Ray

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Sunday 09 June 19 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

? Who is     

Sorry don't understand the question here.

Neither do I.
Ray, were your last 3 posts quotes? If so, from where?
Cowban

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Monday 10 June 19 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi     

Replies #94 & #97 have been amended