Author Topic: Can you help ID this manor house, possibly in Northumberland?  (Read 10722 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help ID this manor house, possibly in Northumberland?
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 14 March 19 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I can see it as being the same house if the photo was taken 90 degrees to the left?
Well done, Trish!

One minor point: William Burn was the artist of the Poltalloch House picture, not the builder.

I only point this out as there is an article in the Aberdeen Press and Journal 20 May 1857 where the builders, Messrs. Parker, are being discussed as potential bidders on a new school in Aberdeen.  They list a few of his more recent buildings, and perhaps there is something there that the OP may recognize as being related to the Cecil family.

Sandon Hall in Staffordshire for the Earl of Harrowby
Poltalloch House Argyllshire, for Neil Malcolm Esq.
Bangor Castle, for Mr Ward, County Downs
Castlewellan, County Down, Lord Annesley  (in progress)
large elaborate warehouse for Samuel Wetts, Esq (mayor of Manchester)
offices for Messrs Naylor (Aberdeen bankers)

The newspaper also posted the estimate, in which Messrs Parker signed the bid as John Parker & Sons.

Offline FamilyPhotoReunion

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 14 March 19 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful, Trish! I am in awe of your research skills. Do tell us how you found this. It must be the same place. The "Poltalloch House General view of west re-entrant and conservatory" image really cinches it for me. 

Now to figure out the connection with the photographs inside the album. Thank you so much for solving this mystery!

Carol
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 14 March 19 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for your kind comments  :)

Really pleased to help identify the house. I noticed that the building had some striking similarities to Stoke Rochford Hall in Lincolnshire, designed by William Burn, which (eventually) revealed Poltalloch House.

I'm sure that some of the amazing Rootschat researchers will be able to reveal a connection to your album.

Regards

Trish
Carroll - Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork
Hooley - Tattenhall, Cheshire
Lloyd - Gresford, Denbighshire
Platt - Wrexham, Denbighshire
Sullivan- Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 15 March 19 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Well found Trish!  :)

So sad to see this once grand house in such a poor state today. A tragedy.  :'(

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 15 March 19 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thank you Trish, it was great to put a name to such a grand house!

June 1893
The Scotsman announces the death Mr. John Malcolm of Poltalloch, D.L. and J.P. for Argyleshire, which took place Poltalloch House, Kilmartin, the family residence, on Tuesday night. The deceased gentleman, who had reached the advanced age of 97 years ...

July 1893
Lochgilphead - Kilmartin.
Property of Colonel J. Wingfield Malcolm, C.B., Poltalloch House, Kilmartin,
 the Stables, Coachman's accomodation and Coach House destroyed by fire caused by the lightning.

[John Wingfield Malcolm]

November 1904
FIRE AT POLTALLOCH HOUSE.
Fire was yesterday morning discovered to have broken out in Poltalloch House, Lochgilphead, the residence of Colonel E.N. Malcolm, C.B. The flames spread rapidly, and an hour after the outbreak was discovered, the whole roof was involved ...

A newspaper says the family had extensive Estates in Argyleshire, as well as in England and the West Indies.

----------

National Library of Scotland

A new collection of marches, quicksteps, strathspeys, reels & jigs. consisting of 120 tunes. Edited by John McLachlan, late piper to Neill Malcolm Esqr. Of Poltalloch.
https://digital.nls.uk/special-collections-of-printed-music/archive/105010655

The British Museum

Some Manuscripts of this family were deposited in the British Museum.

(Some Estates Manuscripts originally deposited by families with the British Museum, London, are now with the British Library, London, Dept of Manuscripts).

----------

Carol, if you are going to do something with the album and item, I think the best thing you can do, is to offer it to the Scottish National Archives, or The National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh, where the photographs and item/s can be accessed by all who wish to see them and are also more likely to be permanently preserved in a fire proof and proper controlled environment.

-----------

Over the years I have seen 1,000s of these items at UK Flea Markets and Sales, many left to fate when a house was cleared.

Around 2005 my family were going to let photographs of my Mother's side going back to 1855 - 1860 (two pictures go back to the early days of photography) go to House Clearers, until I realised and saved them.

Mark

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 15 March 19 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Well spotted indeed Trish!  Every stone of this house was paid for by the blood of slaves, the Malcolm's (MacCallum's) owned sugar plantations right across the Caribbean, they treated their own tenants no better in Argyle, a clearance of the people in 1848 caused a riot.

It's no loss!

Skoosh.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 15 March 19 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Well spotted indeed Trish!  Every stone of this house was paid for by the blood of slaves, the Malcolm's (MacCallum's) owned sugar plantations right across the Caribbean, they treated their own tenants no better in Argyle, a clearance of the people in 1848 caused a riot.

I had quite a surprise recently that English settlers in America still loyal to the British Crown, were effectively later kicked out of America in the late 18th Century and had to return to England, some to their ancestor's English County of departure.

I like a square of chocolate occasionally ;D  ;D my family were supposed to have shipped sugar in England, according to family folklore.

Mark