Author Topic: Bristol Help Needed  (Read 1885 times)

Offline zoobiscuitz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bristol Help Needed
« on: Sunday 14 January 18 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone here is interested in helping me uncover a mystery that has been annoying me for years...

I am trying to trace my family in Bristol, but have hit a wall in the mid-1800s. My ancestor born then was Philip Johnson (birth records: Johnson, Philip Hugh, Bristol, vol.6a, page 48). Looking at birth and marriage records, as well as censuses, I know that his parents were Joseph Thomas Johnson (b. circa1820) and Ann Keller (b. circa1820). I know that Ann's mother was Irish, so although I have not been able to go any further back than Ann's parents, I know that I probably can't due to a lack of records.

However, it perplexes me that I cannot find Joseph Johnson's parents! I've been research my family tree for almost a decade and still haven't found anything that takes me back a generation (aside from the name of Joseph's father - Patrick Johnson). If you're keen to help me out I'd really appreciate it!

Here's a link to JT Johnson in my tree: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/114130536/person/260131297604/story
I have placed documents in the gallery section of his profile.

Many thanks,
Zoe

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 January 18 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Just to put a date to Philips birth  :)
JOHNSON, PHILIP  HUGH     mmn KELLER     
1856  December  Quarter
BRISTOL  Volume 06A  Page 48

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 January 18 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Do you have this marriage certificate  :-\
Marriage Mar qtr 1841 
Johnson    Joseph       
Keller    Ann       
Bristol    11   183

ADDED Does it give an occupation for his father

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 January 18 12:34 GMT (UK) »
There are also these 2 children
JOHNSON, ANN       mmn KELLER     
1842  March Quarter in BRISTOL  Volume 11  Page 141

JOHNSON, MARY  ELLEN     mmn KELLER     
1842  Dec Quarter in BRISTOL  Volume 11  Page 130   

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 January 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
With his fathers name being Patrick I suspect he was of Irish origin and suspect that your answer may be in catholic records for Bristol which don't appear to be available online as far as I can see.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zoobiscuitz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 January 18 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, thanks, Annette for the suggestion. While I know Ann's family was Catholic I have never thought to look specifically for Catholic records!

Regarding his marriage and father's occupation, all of those records are here :https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/114130536/person/260131297604/gallery
Joseph was a tailor. The last record mentioning him that I have seen is Philip's birth. Afterwards he disappears. This is another mystery for me as Philp's marriage certificate from 1881 gives "Joseph Thomas Johnson" as his father and does not list Joseph as deceased at that time... so where was he?

I think Patrick John Johnson was a mariner. You can take a look at the doc at the address above... the handwriting is hard to read but I think it says mariner.

Thanks all for your thoughts on the matter!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 January 18 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Regarding his marriage and father's occupation, all of those records are here :https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/114130536/person/260131297604/gallery

It is always better if you post information on your thread, it easier for those trying to help if the information is in one place.  For those without an ancestry account your links only take them to a sign in page.

Offline zoobiscuitz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for pointing that out, rosie99. I had not realised.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 08:33 GMT (UK) »
The last record mentioning him that I have seen is Philip's birth. Afterwards he disappears. This is another mystery for me as Philp's marriage certificate from 1881 gives "Joseph Thomas Johnson" as his father and does not list Joseph as deceased at that time... so where was he?

When Philip married the clergy would have asked for his fathers name and occupation, there is no requirement to ask if he is dead or alive.

Just for info for anyone looking 1861 Ann is with the children (No Joseph) RG09 /1723 f88 p21 -her occupation Staymaker-Married -born Bristol

1851 census has Joseph's occupation as Commercial Traveller age 31 born St Michaels, Bristol H0107/1953 f68 p58

His marriage in 7 January 1841 gives occupation as Tailor - his father Patrick John Johnson is a Mariner