Author Topic: Date of photo, please? Dora Stuart, born c1861, Ontario, Canada  (Read 1764 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Date of photo, please? Dora Stuart, born c1861, Ontario, Canada
« on: Monday 12 February 18 02:18 GMT (UK) »
I do not know who has the original copy of this photograph; I hope it is ok to post it so that I may ask a question, please?  (My aunt gave it to me perhaps 5-10 years ago; she obtained it from another relative.)

The photo is of my great-grandmother, Dora.  I am wondering approximately when the photograph may have been taken, please?  Actually, I am also wondering if anyone might know the occasion for the flowers(?).  I believe she has coins near the collar but I cannot see them clearly enough to determine if that is true.  She was born in Ontario, Canada; her parents were born in Ireland. 

Any details about the photograph would be appreciated.  Thank you, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date of photo, please? Dora Stuart, born c1861, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 February 18 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

What a lovely photo.

I think it's late 1880s - I have some photos in my books of ladies wearing dresses like that which are dated 1888-9.

I wonder why she had her hair cut  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 February 18 20:15 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking early mid 1880s....could be a wedding photo....do you know when she got married Lisa? Her hair style wouldn't look out of place today...I wonder if she had an illness resulting in her cutting her hair. The old fashioned idea that long hair saps the energy springs to mind.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 February 18 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Just read underneath the photo that I was talking about - late 1880s - 'hair is also characteristic of these years, worn with a fringe and having a very modern, short appearance'.   Also notes the military-like  trimmings on otherwise fairly plain top.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both; your replies are quite interesting. I am attaching a photo that is of Dora and her fiance/husband and it was identified on RootsChat as possibly mid-1880s.  To me, she looks quite different (keeping in mind that her head positioning could make a difference) in the two photos.

(Gadget, Dora is the lady we were discussing last week with the possible hidden foot.)

Dora did marry in 1888.  To me, its a bit odd that her face is so full in the photo attached above (compared to the one below).   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Just been looking up her marriage, Lisa, I see that she was married in July 1888, aged 26. She looks older in the photo with William.

Think the skirt suggests a smaller bustle, which was second part of 1880s.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hope you don't mind but I got rid of a few spots and the blue line.  I couldn't resist but kept changes to a minimum.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:10 GMT (UK) »
You're quick and correct.  She was born c1861 (he in 1863).  But reading that you think she could be older brings to mind that there are date problems with two census returns.  I will have to look into that again.  I'll explain in a moment - it takes me forever to type and think about how to phrase some things.   ;)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 February 18 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gadget - I really appreciate it!  It is beautiful.