Author Topic: Islay Ancestors  (Read 21380 times)

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Islay Ancestors
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 21:14 BST (UK) »
elisabeth mcintyre born 2 aug 1747 do you have that her parents are john and ann campbell

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 21:26 BST (UK) »
and hugh mcintyre 19th sept 1749

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ronnie:  Thanks for all the information, although the hearth tax is much further back than my line (so far).  I wouldn't mind having that "wee hoose" now.

Yes, I have Hugh and Elizabeth.  Hugh was Archie's grandfather who married Katherine McArthur in 1775.  Their son was Duncan (born 1781 in Torranbeg, Kilmartin) who married Sarah McCallum. Don't know if Archie or Duncan had siblings.  It all began with John McIntyre and Ann Campbell who seem determined not to reveal their parentage, hence my brick wall, but I'll keep looking.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 01:20 BST (UK) »
theres a strange spelling of mcintyre in the same area going a little futher back
mcintyllor and mctyre, i found a little pic of west raslie  just ruins left,
torranmore and torranbeg are basiclly in the same place on old maps its toranmhor
that wee hoose isnt far from there was the campbells then went to the malcolms

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Friday 07 June 19 20:36 BST (UK) »
hi again
            firstly i had a good laff at you ruffling feathers i think it was back in 2012,
but it made me look at something,
and what i ll say to you is don t disregard inverawe,
first i m sending you a picture read the paragraph if you find it of interest, follow the link
in this message the campbells of interest may be a touch before what you have,
but as there in Raslie (rashelly) theres a very distinct possibilty they are your line,
i ve stopped reading at that point eyes are getting weary,

http://www.inverawe.org.uk/publications/MacConnochie-Campbells-VolumeFour-Diarmid-Campbell.pdf

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Saturday 08 June 19 15:00 BST (UK) »
hi
   after researching the lines of campbell of duntoon (duntune) and their connection to Raslie (Rashelly) i ve reached the conclusion your ann is of that line from documments i ve been reading
alexander who inherited Raslie was given Raslie had brothers also at Raslie Patrick, Archibald, John who was the uncle of a colin, Colin being a witness at the signing of the handing of Raslie to Alexander
all are from Raslie,
and Before that Duntroon, the duntroon line stems from the inverawe campbells further back,
Raslie itself is mentioned in documents as upper and lower Raslie estate,
Later i believe it was called poltaloch estate,
portaloch estate people by name  contains all the names in the info you ve posted ie mcintyre mccallum campbells

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 09 June 19 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Ronnie:  Well I read a lot about those Campbells from the link you sent me.  Very dry reading I must say.  Too far back from my line to draw any conclusions.  So many people with the same name making it impossible to follow.  The only place I've seen my Ann is on Family Search where it shows the birth of her children Hugh and Elizabeth with husband John McIntyre.  Family Search  also has the birth of a Colin Campbell from Inveraray (about 1705) with parents Alexander Campbell and Elizabeth Gillies but I'm sure this is connected to the Lochawe Campbells which is where those other trees I mentioned before went off the track.  I think I found a profile of them somewhere a long time ago which listed their children but there was no Ann so I discarded that avenue.

My John McIntyre's grandson (Duncan McIntyre born 1781 in Kilmartin) was a gamekeeper.  A bit of a stretch from the lofty Colin Campbell in just three generations, don't you think?  I have Duncan's son Archibald in the 1841 census living and working (another gamekeeper) at Torranmore, Kilmartin.  I understand it was part of the Inverliver estate and the proprietor was Lieut. John Campbell.  So more likely that my ancestors worked for the Campbells but were not related to them.  Interestingly enough though, Archie had a son named Colin Campbell McIntyre.

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Sunday 09 June 19 14:19 BST (UK) »
Just took a look at my McIntyre chart.  Colin Campbell McIntyre mentioned above also had a son and a grandson called Colin Campbell McIntyre.  So, it looks likely that there was a Colin Campbell somewhere further back, unless they just liked the name!

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Sunday 09 June 19 15:46 BST (UK) »
the research i m doing  is on the cadet line of clan campbell, that s like brothers and such that werent inline for succession to be clan chief,
and as you go back in time they go further north to appin,
and on reading about the campbells and macDonalds the mcintyres have been associated with both clans going way way back,
concentrating on the campbells  around kilmartin  i ve found they re from the duntoon line,
i m thinking next of trying to find estate records,
i ve found some records but it is 1798 i don t know if any on your tree was still in the area at that time,but there is quite a few mcintyre famillies still there