Author Topic: Decipher description from Scottish birth certificate  (Read 3615 times)

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Decipher description from Scottish birth certificate
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 04 August 18 23:32 BST (UK) »
Not sure if it helps in the way that is needed, but the address for the birth looks to be 52 Stobcross Street, Andeston.

Monica

Thank you Monica, it does look like that once you say it, and that is a real sreet, but I wouldn't have worked that one out.

Isabella is recorded as ‘married’ on the 1861 census. She was a Hat Trimmer, born in Edinburgh. The address is Buccleuch Pend, Buccleuch Street, Edinburgh ( info from Findmypast).
Isobel

Thank you Isobel, she was a "Hate Tormmer" according to Ancestry's transcription  :D

"Tenuous possible marriage 1886 Eleanor Westwood to Alexander Wylie mother Isabella Westwood MS Morrison (deceased) if so then she is also in the 1891 and 1901 censuses"

I wonder if 'Westwood' is an indication to her father's surname?
Would be good to find a Westwood on a census in same area Isabella was.

Annie

According to the marriage certificate (1886) her father was Robert Westwood, I haven't looked into him yet, but as I mentioned before Westwood crops up as a middle name in later generations, along with other surnames of previous generations.

"
This is a strange jigsaw, the pieces appear to fit but the pattern doesn't  ::)

Annie
;D Too true.
Still don't know where Jane Morrison came from or went to,
I've got two more Scottish families to do after this one, wish me luck.

Rob

Edit:-  Just spotted a Jane Gibson Westwood b1863 St Giles but that will have to wait until tomorrow.
Hancock, Hatton (Birmingham), Price and Fisher (Gloucestershire), Cyphas (Oxfordshire), Ensor and Morrow (Coventry), Fieldhouse (Uttoxeter)

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 04 August 18 23:51 BST (UK) »
"Tenuous possible marriage 1886 Eleanor Westwood to Alexander Wylie mother Isabella Westwood MS Morrison (deceased) if so then she is also in the 1891 and 1901 censuses"

I wonder if 'Westwood' is an indication to her father's surname?
Would be good to find a Westwood on a census in same area Isabella was.

Annie

1861 Census
Robert E Westwood
36 Buccleuch St No 2 Back Land
Printer (componter)

:)
Hancock, Hatton (Birmingham), Price and Fisher (Gloucestershire), Cyphas (Oxfordshire), Ensor and Morrow (Coventry), Fieldhouse (Uttoxeter)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 05 August 18 00:35 BST (UK) »
Great find!

I noted both Isaac & Jane have the name 'Gibson' attached to their names although not sure what to make of this?

GIBSON WALTER
Tenant Occupier
HOUSE 3/A BUCCLEUCH STREET, ST CUTHBERT'S
VR010000061-

This is around the time of Isaac's birth (1868)

"Isaac info from birth record
Isaac Gibson Morrison (or Morrison)
10-2-1868 5h ?m ?16, Buccleuch Street Edinburgh"

Annie

Add, I haven't checked any census' i.e. worth a look for more details on Walter Gibson I think?

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 05 August 18 19:12 BST (UK) »
I noted both Isaac & Jane have the name 'Gibson' attached to their names although not sure what to make of this?
GIBSON WALTER
Tenant Occupier
HOUSE 3/A BUCCLEUCH STREET, ST CUTHBERT'S
VR010000061-
This is around the time of Isaac's birth (1868)

Annie

He is on both the 1861 and 1871 censuses living in Buccleuch Street, married with children (though that proves nothing)

Robert Westwood is on the 1861 census, living with his mother, can't find him in 1871, however:-

I got Jane (Morrison) birth record:-

Jane Gibson Westwood b 5 Mar 1863 father Robert Westwood printer Compositor, mother Isabella Westwood MS Morrison 1851 December 31st Edinburgh regd by Isabella Morrison mother.
I assume the 1851 December 31st in the parents column is the date the parents married, well guess what no marriage for those names in 1851, but Isabella married Colin Morrison 31 Dec 1852!
Has Isabella registered the birth herself and passed herself off as a married woman?  Maybe without Robert Westwood knowing?

But why Gibson as well as Westwood in her name?  Was Walter Gibson the real father and Westwood was the fall guy?

You could write a book about this woman, but no one would believe it.

But then we can assume Westwood is Eleanor's father because:-

Eleanor Westwood b 30 Sept 1865 no father on birth certificate but in 1886 an Eleanor Westwood of the same age marries Alexander Wylie, father Robert Westwood mother Isabella Westwood MS Morrison.

Still no further in Isaac Gibson Morrison, he seems to disappear too.

Rob

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 05 August 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
I haven't done the arithmetic yet but could this be him which would answer the 'Gibson' query?

Death

WESTWOOD ROBERT ELLIOT 40
GIBSON (mmn)
685/3 169 Canongate

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 05 August 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
This 'WESTWOOD ROBERT ELLIOT 40' on death would have been a few yrs younger than Isabella but whether he's the correct person is anyone's guess as there has been no previous mention of the middle name 'Elliot'?

"Jane Gibson Westwood b 5 Mar 1863 father Robert Westwood printer Compositor, mother Isabella Westwood MS Morrison 1851 December 31st Edinburgh regd by Isabella Morrison mother"

How strange, proclaiming to be married as Westwood then signing as Morrison, she must have been nervous with telling lies & forgot herself when signing  ;D  ::)

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 05 August 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
"1886 an Eleanor Westwood of the same age marries Alexander Wylie, father Robert Westwood"

Does it say both parents are deceased on the marriage 1886 or just Isabella?

Annie

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 05 August 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
I haven't done the arithmetic yet but could this be him which would answer the 'Gibson' query?

Death

WESTWOOD ROBERT ELLIOT 40
GIBSON (mmn)
685/3 169 Canongate

Annie
Could be, it says age 40 which matched the 1861 census est birth of 1829.  He was dead by the time Jane Westwood married Robert Brough in 1881, father Robert Westwood (Printer, compositor) deceased, mother Isabella Westwood MS Morrison deceased.
1969 fits nicely with Isabella next marriage to William Churchill 1870
I think we can let Walter Gibson off the hook :)

Rob

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 05 August 18 20:03 BST (UK) »
This 'WESTWOOD ROBERT ELLIOT 40' on death would have been a few yrs younger than Isabella but whether he's the correct person is anyone's guess as there has been no previous mention of the middle name 'Elliot'?

"Jane Gibson Westwood b 5 Mar 1863 father Robert Westwood printer Compositor, mother Isabella Westwood MS Morrison 1851 December 31st Edinburgh regd by Isabella Morrison mother"

How strange, proclaiming to be married as Westwood then signing as Morrison, she must have been nervous with telling lies & forgot herself when signing  ;D  ::)

Annie

My mistake when typing, it does says Isabella Westwood.

In 1851 census there is Robert Elliot Westwood Printer Overseer b Edinburgh living as a lodger in Gorbals.  And in the 1861 census he is Robert E Westwood

Rob