Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 68312 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #189 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 18:33 GMT (UK) »
... I spend longer rejecting people than adding them. I tend to make out a sort of spreadsheet of possibles, with parentage / dates / events across the top, and names down the side, get all the possibles listed, then spend months tracking them through time and location, to eliminate them....
but it doesn't mean that I accept blindly if there's only one candidate left after all that -
THEN I start trying to prove / disprove he's the right one, all over again ( sighs)

Hello

Yes, when you get back two hundred years, it is impossible for us to make confirmed links backward from my current 200 year old Tree lineage (a Wedding with Bond/Allegation of 1815 with age stated, that matches his death age) and most of our time is spent looking at possibles, looking for paperwork in Archives and:- either rejecting them; leaving them and the acquired documentary paperwork filed and in abeyance; or coming to another dead end.

I even have two spare middle surnames (Cook and Pearson) and a spare middle name (Alfred, which can be both a forename and surname). All the other middle surnames match up to linked certified ancestry.

So I fall off my seat with disbelief (and laughter) when people claim a Tree with links to 30,000 individuals!

To me, those in my Family Tree are those my Dad and I actually know as our family back to 1905 and then those our relatives and I have verified paperwork, Census and official Copies for, newspaper Notices, Wills and Yorkshire property Registrations, before 1905.

Mark

Yes. Well take your George Hood who you have him detailed in your signature. Born c1785 in Yorkshire, and said so on 1841 census but the Grim Reaper claimed him in 1845, so you have no record of where in Yorkshire he was born. and his origin is still a mystery to you is it?

That is why it is good to try poor law, wills, marriage witnesses and more outside just census and BMD's. You never know what turns up. As I said, witnesses to marriages is very important.

Many Anc trees have this "the only likely entry so it must be mine". At the same time, if you do see an entry that does seem to fit, while you must not just accept it, do not discard it either, as I made the mistake of doing that before due to them marrying so far from where they lived. I thought "Cannot be, they must have married locally".
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Friday 25 January 19 03:54 GMT (UK) »
Ive just accidently added some rubbish to my tree and spent hours undoing it
I had a lady marrying a younger version of herself ! Couldnt just edit name because her husband was a man and i had a woman on tree ! Aaarg
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Friday 25 January 19 10:48 GMT (UK) »
If the claimants of the following John Hood 2 December 1860 Death read this

Death John Hood Death 02/12/1860 Selby Walworth South Dakota USA

Residence 1851 Selby Yorkshire England

----------

The Daughter of John & Sarah Hood of Selby (to whom the above refer) was Clara Richardson Hood.

----------

If they check and apply for this from the British, UK General Register Office they will find:-

Second December 1860 Gowthorpe Selby,
John Hood
Male
41 Years
Tanner
Phthisis Certified
John Richardson In attendance Gowthorpe Selby
Registered Fourteenth December 1860
John Fothergill Registrar

----------

John Hood was buried in the Selby Council Cemetery, Selby, Yorkshire, England, UK.

----------

If a Memorial to my ancestor who died Selby, England, Great Britain / UK does appear somewhere in South Dakota, I would be most interested to hear from you?

Mark

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Friday 25 January 19 10:57 GMT (UK) »

Have a look at this thread, it is an Ancestry undocumented feature.

Briefly the owner has probably just put Selby, on upload the place names are checked against the Ancestry database and the first one selected.  'W' comes before 'Y'

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Friday 25 January 19 11:19 GMT (UK) »

Have a look at this thread, it is an Ancestry undocumented feature.

Briefly the owner has probably just put Selby, on upload the place names are checked against the Ancestry database and the first one selected.  'W' comes before 'Y'

Edward

Hello Edward

By clicking the wrong Selby on Ancestry to Selby England, UK, they have got this ...

If their John Hood died in the USA, they have the wrong HOOD connection/information in their Tree too!

Mark

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Friday 25 January 19 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I have some sympathy with the american place name mistakes .i often do searches on my phone so fat fingers and small print can lead to me not seeing that there is usa added after" Denbighshire wales" or whatever then when i do spot it ..its really hard to get the correct choice to jump into the box ...and some of the copiers seem to be lying in waiting to copy rubbish before they check too .

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Friday 25 January 19 13:11 GMT (UK) »
The above example is one of not many  -- hundreds   -

over 10yrs ago I corrected and advised a researcher regarding the marriage of my Thomas Clarkes great great Grandaddy to an American Agnes Gay aged 9  who had half a dozen children before she died aged 12.. thats all roughly exact... to say it niggles me is nearly true

THEY STILL have the information in their tree.. I checked it ..

SO

I give up

and So What we must realise and comprehend is to just keep doing our best and get our own bits right.

WHAT will happen to the wonderful information that Ancestry has and is probably storing in a vault  for the future.. as per a.n. other   place 

Well most of it will be sadly, badly wrong.. and that is why the History books we read and the stories we hear cannot be relied upon..
The earth is Flat and there is an edge that we fall off at a given time...
I read it somewhere... fact..

the fact there is that I read it somewhere!!!!!
xin

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Friday 25 January 19 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

I'm afraid, this USA John Hood death, matched to death and Tree in England, UK and other claims generally, raise serious questions of the failure of some to check documents, Wills and Certificates.

The 1851 Census confirmed John Hood [with Wife & children] was at Selby, England in the UK Census as a Tanner. A researcher shouldn't simply jump countries for his death, without doing a few simple checks:-

a) John Hood's Widow Sarah Hood was in the next 1861 Census still at Selby, England, UK, raising an immediate question about the 1860 USA death location for John Hood of Selby.

b) John Hood's Death Certificate registered Selby, England, UK, confirms his death date, death place, occupation, age and brief details in the UK.

c) There is no need to buy anything and alarm bells should be sounding, when checking the UK Probate Wills Calendar on a Family History site, as the Calendar states John Hood late of Selby was a Tanner and Bone Crusher deceased who died 2 December 1860 at Selby aforesaid ... Listed when John Hood's Will went to Probate in 1861.

Freely also available here https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#calendar
Probate Granted 23 May 1861
Will available from the UK Probate or from Wakefield, Yorkshire, Record Office Probate Register which also confirms John Hood's death date.

d) Death is searchable in several Yorkshire, England, Newspaper Death Notices.

Instead of contacting an Archive, Library, a Forum etc., in England UK, it seems some assume and are quite happy to make a totally erroneous link without a few checks, misleading the reader.

Mark

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Friday 25 January 19 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Well Justin Bieber is a Londoner. Born in London, Ontario, Canada. Not that I am a fan of him.

Essex, Massachusetts, United States as opposed to Essex, England is the birthplace of many of my ancestors according to other trees.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain