Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 68497 times)

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #216 on: Sunday 27 January 19 14:19 GMT (UK) »
- Hope it wasn't that Dyer chap, was it, coombs?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Sunday 27 January 19 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I've only contacted / been contacted a few times, and only one, a chap on OH's side, was really a "Grab it and Run" merchant. I went to a lot of trouble after contact was made, actually drawing out his entire tree for him, to clarify, and posted it to Australia, at some expense ... and never ever even got a "thank you"! (Mind you, I did it that way so at least he couldn't get into my tree. )
Others have been very pleasant, and helpful, and even met up with one or two, really nice people, and feel to be friends as well now.
Makes you very wary of making / allowing contact, though.

Yes, I have met up with my dad's cousin. Their paternal grandfathers were first cousins. I keep in contact with them. No matter how far removed it is, they are still a relative, even if they are not into genealogy as much as you are.

I once helped someone prove a distant link to nobility and I never ever got a thank you for it.

But sometimes you meet a like-minded researcher with shared ancestry and can have - like I only did last evening with Top-of-the-Hill - a spate of emails to and fro whilst we are both researching our (very widespread) tree on the net.

Worth its weight in gold that is.  ;D

And so reassuring to find that there are people who are equally family, history interested (other than all of the wonderful Rootchatters)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Sunday 27 January 19 14:56 GMT (UK) »
I am not stupid or Naive enough to think there is no such thing as a 9 yr old marrying.. but if and when I rediscover the tree -- you will agree it is an impossible situation..   here  is a snip
xin
I believe that it is an criminal offence to be married after death and that abusers can be given a custodial sentence. :) :) :)
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Sunday 27 January 19 17:53 GMT (UK) »
But sometimes you meet a like-minded researcher with shared ancestry and can have - like I only did last evening with Top-of-the-Hill - a spate of emails to and fro whilst we are both researching our (very widespread) tree on the net.

Worth its weight in gold that is.  ;D

And so reassuring to find that there are people who are equally family, history interested (other than all of the wonderful Rootchatters)

Which is why it's worth looking at other people's trees, and learning to turn a blind eye to the rubbish ones :)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Sunday 27 January 19 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is good to get a contact who is just as interested in genealogy, and who is always comparing notes.

I have no interest in sport, and when people tell me about the latest sports then they may as well be talking a foreign language. I suppose people who are not into FH may think us family historians talking about our ancestors is like gobbledygook to them.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Sunday 27 January 19 20:03 GMT (UK) »
JM, if I'd had a message like that I'd have framed it and hung it on the wall!  But which room to hang it in :-\

Carol

What room? I think down the Outside Toilet  ;D  ;D  ;D but not good enough to hang next to the Thomas Crapper & Co toilet cistern adorning the wall  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Sunday 27 January 19 21:14 GMT (UK) »
I am not stupid or Naive enough to think there is no such thing as a 9 yr old marrying.. but if and when I rediscover the tree -- you will agree it is an impossible situation..   here  is a snip
xin
I believe that it is an criminal offence to be married after death and that abusers can be given a custodial sentence. :) :) :)

Sentence them to seven years transportation beyond the planet .... they could then be sent off to the moon .... give them honorific title .... Lunaticals ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Sunday 27 January 19 21:18 GMT (UK) »
JM, if I'd had a message like that I'd have framed it and hung it on the wall!  But which room to hang it in :-\

Carol

What room? I think down the Outside Toilet  ;D  ;D  ;D but not good enough to hang next to the Thomas Crapper & Co toilet cistern adorning the wall  ;D  ;D  ;D

Outside loo ... pan and woodern seat,  phenol bottle,   nightsoil man ... no crapper box  ..   yep,  thats almost too precious ....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Sunday 27 January 19 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

On a serious note I messaged an Ancestry Tree researcher Sally-ann Jardine last week, whom I really hope will get in touch.

Ms Jardine lists GEORGE HOOD born Yorkshire 1786.

Also CLARK Scotland 1700 - 1900.

----------

My George Hood of Selby Yorkshire, born about 1786, purchased 4/5ths (Four Fifths) of the former premises of the late John Clark, Tanner of Selby, Yorkshire, England (offered For Sale in 1830).

Had a scan of John Clark's Will bundle (1764) specially scanned from the Borthwick some time ago and his five Daughters were all Co-heiresses (I now have about 100 non online Wills, scanned or copied).

Four of the descendants from the John Clark of Selby, Yorks Co-Heiresses have each sold their 1/5th shares to my George Hood of Selby and the 1831 property Registration even gives their Clark lineage from the late John Clark, through several Generations to each of the four sellers. Great if you are a Clark researcher!

-----------

But words like "oil painting of Burns" etc., in a known HOOD Will (Proved 1942), don't mean too much yet.

-----------

The Jardine researcher has an interest in Dumfriesshire.

I have been looking at the 1820s - 1840s HOODs of Drypool, Yorkshire, some of whom originated from Dumfries and who also had links to the Quakers as Non-Quakers at Drypool and Somercotes (near Hull), like my George Hood (a non-Quaker) who was buried by the Quakers at Selby, Yorkshire in 1845.

I am really hoping Ms Jardine gets in touch!

----------

Regarding Coombs earlier comment, the surviving Selby Poor Law records were found on a Selby rubbish tip in the 20th Century, once in Selby Abbey Library (seen them at the Borthwick, also available at the LDS Centre), mainly about collecting the Selby Poor Rate and a book of payments.

John Hood the Master Mariner (who paid a Mariners Pension, confirmed in the Trinity House Mariners 1780s records at Hull, not online) did not pay the Selby Poor Rate, nor did John Hood, Master Mariner, or my George Hood receive the Selby Church Dole.

----------

The only link I can make between John Hood, the Mariner (buried Selby April 1819 aged 82) and my George Hood (buried Selby September 1845, aged 60, who looks to be in his 60th year), is that the descendants of both those HOODs married into the same GRUBB descendants, from a common GRUBB ancestor.

Thread I'd Be Most Interested in Family Historian Comments re Tree Diagram?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804155.0

Make sure you open the whole line diagram please, if interested in taking a peek.

Mark