Author Topic: Bristol marriage 1818  (Read 4882 times)

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol marriage 1818
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 December 18 23:46 GMT (UK) »
The film number shown against that marriage on familysearch is 1595891.  Searching their catalogue that film relates to BT's for St Pauls Church, Bristol
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&query=%2Bfilm_number%3A1595891

Link to catalogue search
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/search

Thank you so much for your help. There is a lot to follow up on.

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 December 18 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately marriages at that time only show the couples names, if minor or of full age and the names of the witnesses.

Thank you for your help.
I was hoping perhaps Bristol added a bit more than other counties.

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 December 18 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Is this the children of Isaac & Maria COX (on Ancestry) -

All christened at Gloucester, St Mary de Crypt

COX

Emma - 5 September 1819 - residence, Littleworth, (Issac's profession listed as Tailor)
John - 6 May 1821 - ditto
Joseph - 12 September 1823 - residence, extra parochial
James - 2 September 1827 - residence: Littleworth (Isaac's profession listed as Tailor)
Maria - 3 October 1830 - residence: Littleworth (Issac's profession listed as Coal Merchant)
Issac - 22 April 1831/2 - buried 27 March 1833 aged 1, - (Isaac's profession listed as Coal Merchant)

---

Burial at St Mary de Crypt: 29 May 1836, Maria COX (aged 44) = cc1792 - residence: Hamlet of Littleworth.

---
Look for family names:

Littleworth is covered by Hempstead on the 1841 census - and I can see (so far) the marriage of Emma (a Minor) in 1840 at Hempstead, father Issac, occupation, Tailor : to Charles Inwards, a Carpenter.

1841 census, South Hamlet

INWARDS

Charles 20 - Carpenter
Emma - 20
John - 15 - Carpenter
William - 1 month

Thank you for the information.
You have helped prove that Isaac and Maria did have other children. It will give me something else to go on now.
A question that it does pose is would a tailor change to being a coal merchant.
Also when Harriet their daughter born in Sussex 1825 states on her marriage to Richard Brabant 1852 in Gloucester that her father is a tailor. But then she did not state that her father was deceased  when she married. I will need some time to slowly go through it all.

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 December 18 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Does this burial have an age Capetown?
Isaac Cox
Burial Date   28 Aug 1833
Burial Place   St Mary De Crypt, Gloucester, Gloucester, England

Thank you again for your help. Everyone has been so helpful.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 December 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Even though Harriet did not say her Father was deceased on her 1852 M/C her Brother Joseph did say he was;

Often we have found in research unless the question is asked (is your Father dead?) it is not noted on the Cert.

As I said earlier;
JOSEPH Cox
15 Sep 1850
Marriage Place:   St Peter, Walworth, Southwark, England
Father ISAAC Cox, deceased, occp Tailor

On Census his pob/dob matches 1823 Bapt Capetown noted and he stays in the London area.

Maria Cox Bapt 1830 may be a Pupil in a School in Glous 1841 Census.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 December 18 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Even though Harriet did not say her Father was deceased on her 1852 M/C her Brother Joseph did say he was;

Often we have found in research unless the question is asked (is your Father dead?) it is not noted on the Cert.

As I said earlier;
JOSEPH Cox
15 Sep 1850
Marriage Place:   St Peter, Walworth, Southwark, England
Father ISAAC Cox, deceased, occp Tailor

On Census his pob/dob matches 1823 Bapt Capetown noted and he stays in the London area.

Maria Cox Bapt 1830 may be a Pupil in a School in Glous 1841 Census.
Thank you for your help. Interesting that Joseph also states his fathers occupation was a tailor and not a coal merchant which makes me wonder if the last two children are that of Isaac and Maria.
Though he could have changed jobs. It will be interesting to see if anyone else is tracing this family that can help connect our Harriett with this family but it is all looking very likely.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes it may not be the same couple but people also changed occp's for various reasons.

But as Maria 1831 does not appear on any Census with Parents named Isaac/Maria I think that she is the Daug of your couple.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes it may not be the same couple but people also changed occp's for various reasons.

But as Maria 1831 does not appear on any Census with Parents named Isaac/Maria I think that she is the Daug of your couple.
I had a look at the Pigots 1830 Directory for Gloucester and found Isaac Cox, coal dealer, Canal Basin. At least it does prove he was in the area in 1830. I can't find an Isaac Cox Tailor on any 1830 directories which may prove he did change occupations. I don't think there are any other directories online at least before his death.
I did find someone tracing the family that Emma married into but they are only interested in her husbands side does not look as if they have done any research into the Cox family.
I will keep searching.
Many thanks again.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Maria may be Mary Cox 1851 Census and living in Warwickshire with her Aunt/Uncle, Charles/Sarah Godwin.

Charles married Sarah Cox 29 Apr 1822 Hempstead, Gloucestershire
Both of Littleworth Hamlet

Sarah Cox was Bapt 21 Feb 1802 Yate, Glos to THOMAS/GRACE

Now a THOMAS/GRACE Cox Bapt a ISAAC Cox 3 Nov 1799, St. Mary-Northgate, Canterbury, Kent

I may be way off here but seems too much of a coincidence to me?