Author Topic: Jacob A Langwasser. When did he arrive?  (Read 970 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Looking to the past - or the future?
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob A Langwasser. When did he arrive?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 21 December 18 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Not expecting Jacob's marriage cert until after Christmas. (28 Dec?)
We wait with interest.....

BTW I had noticed that an Adam Langwasser b abt 1862 had gone to the USA.
Good spot - see reply #13 et seq. https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=457616.9

Still doesn't help with when Jacob A arrived, but that information might not be available; strange there are no naturalisation records.
Seeking: baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Nova Scotia [Halifax, Pictou]: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob A Langwasser. When did he arrive?
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 December 18 12:23 GMT (UK) »
I have now received a copy of Jacob's marriage certificate. He was married on  10 May 1885 at Newton Abbot Register Office.

Jacob Langwasser, age 22. Bachelor, musician. Of 1 St Michael's Terrace, Torquay. Father - Peter Langwasser, farmer. The witnesses were the bride's brother and sister ( my great grandmother). This occupation is not repeated on any census.

This would appear to eliminate Adam (1862) who, coincidentally, was described as a musician when he entered  United States in 1887 as a member of a band.

If, as seems likely, Jacob was illegitimate  I think  the declared identity of his father should be approached with caution.

I'm not sure if any of this takes us any further forward but would welcome any inspired suggestions.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.