Author Topic: My Heritage question - Managing more than one kit  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Heritage question - Managing more than one kit
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 December 18 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I just found "select another person" - I selected my father's name. Then I was shown my own DNA matches, not his. :(

Another odd thing, is that he does not appear in my DNA matches. He should be number one or number two under my daughter on my list of matches.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 December 18 13:31 GMT (UK) »
According to what I have read, since "the changes" you are still supposed to get DNA matches but have to may for the following ....

As I am in Australia it will cost me a one time payment of AU$39 to "unlock":

Ethnicity estimate
Chromosome Browser
Trees of DNA Matches
Shared DNA Matches
Shared ethnicities
Shared ancestral places

There's not much left that you get for "free" - apart from DNA Matches, and I don't know where mine are!   >:(

I do like My Heritage so although it grates a bit I am willing to pay to unlock what was free a couple of weeks ago, but not unless I can find these matches first ....

Twas you who said it! I haven't looked it up at all.  :)

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 December 18 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I just found "select another person" - I selected my father's name. Then I was shown my own DNA matches, not his. :(

Another odd thing, is that he does not appear in my DNA matches. He should be number one or number two under my daughter on my list of matches.

In that case, I suggest you check back later, unless of course, it's one of those nasty surprises you hear about (only joking, I think).

Come what may, you as manager should have access to his results. Leave it a day perhaps (enjoy yourselves tomorrow!!) and contact them on Thursday.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 December 18 13:36 GMT (UK) »
DNA matches
You currently have 500+ matches
View matches or Manage All kits

Whether I choose mine or my husband's, it has the name at the top, followed by 'Select another person'.

Regards Margaret :) :)

I followed this. My father gets my matches, but I am not one of them.
I get my matches, but my father is not one of them.

Oddly though, we both have different numbers of matches though the first page of matches are the same for both of us ....

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 December 18 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Haha, no all is as expected - we match on FTDNA.  ;) I think I will leave it to see if something miraculous happens, and try contacting them by phone next week some time.

Thanks for your help and patience.   :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 December 18 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Odder ....

I just logged into my daughter's My Heritage account, and my father is top of her list of matches. BUT. He is noted as Father NOT grandfather and ALL of his "shared dna","shared segments" and "largest segment" is exactly the same as mine.

I am second on her list of matches.

:(

I think I am going to have to leave this for now. There is obviously something wrong here.

Added. On FTDNA they are noted as estimated grandfather and grandchild.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 December 18 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Something has definitely gone wrong, I hope you can sort it out.

However, I found this -

https://blog.myheritage.com/2018/12/starting-today-new-dna-upload-policy/

'DNA uploads made on or AFTER Dec 16, 2018

Shared DNA Matches - A list of the relatives shared in common between the two sides of a DNA Match will require a subscription or unlock fee.'

However, both you (as you, not as him, IYSWIM) and your daughter should be able to view his results, as should other people, or there will be no point at all in uploading there.

But you will have to pay the unlock fee to view them, unfortunately. :(

Regards Margaret

Modified. You should still get his matches names for free, just not the shared matches with other people and yourself.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your continued interest Margaret.  :)

What is the difference between this, which requires a fee to "unlock":
Shared DNA Matches - A list of the relatives shared in common between the two sides of a DNA Match will require a subscription or unlock fee.'

And this which is "free":
Receiving DNA Matches   Matches with other people who share DNA with you — your relatives through a common ancestor — in our huge database that is about twice the size of GEDmatch + Genesis combined.   

I would have thought that my father shares DNA with me therefore we should show in each other's matches.

Oh dear, who knows ... it's all a bit a a pain. I am kicking myself that I did not test and upload his results sooner.  >:(

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Are you at Ancestry? Same works with my heritage and FTDNA, slightly differently

You automatically get matches, I have several thousand, about 200 are 4th to 6th cousins or closer.

At My heritage the same should and does apply.

You can click on 'Shared matches', for 4 to 6 cousins you get a list of matches who share the same DNA as you.

At my heritage you automatically see shared matches, some of whom are pretty remote.

I presume you should be getting the matches with your father, but not the shared matches with others.

You should show up as match to each other, and you should be able to see shared matches with him, eg your daughter. From his 'account' he should show up as a match with you, but not able to see who else matches, eg your daughter.

That is, as far as I can make out!!

Happy Christmas
Regards Margaret
 :) :) :)