Author Topic: Critchley Almond  (Read 6135 times)

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Critchley Almond
« on: Tuesday 12 February 19 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm searching for information about two of my past family members named Ann Moran & Critchley Almond who were together during the late 1870's & possibly during the early 1880's.
Ann Moran was born in Ireland during 1854/5 & was known to be living in Blackburn Lancashire in 1878 when she gave birth to my grandfather, the father is believed to be Critchley Almond who was born in Blackburn in 1853.
I am hoping that there might be someone using this site that may have some family history relating either of them especially Critchley Almond who should be remembered by someone as his name as far as I am aware is one of the rarest.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Critchley Almond
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Critchley Almond is on the 1871 census with parents Richard & Mary - born 23.8.1853 Blackburn - died 14.11.1915.  Probate was granted to the undertaker and he left a little over £57

Doesn't look like he married but there is a tree on Ancestry with a copy of his death cert so somebody appears to have an interest in him

Does Critchley's name appear on your grandfathers birth or marriage certificate?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 23:03 GMT (UK) »
In 1891 he is shown as married - wife L Stansfield born Openshaw - but there is no marriage and later census shows he was single.  Children on the entry are shown as Stansfield

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 16:13 GMT (UK) »
You probably have this but in 1881 Ann Moran and her son James were lodging with the Cosgrove family in "Friday Street", Blackburn. In 1891 young James "Marn"(sic) ALMOND is with his father and other family members at Peel Lane, Blackburn
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Births December qtr  1878   
MORAN    James         Blackburn    8e   401 no mmn shown

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 17:35 GMT (UK) »
You need to investigate further but I think Ann Moran married John Lee June qtr 1881 Blackburn.  Son John William b Sept qtr 1882 and is in lodgings in 1901

Can't see an 1891 entry for the family but there is a death in Sept qtr 1884 Blackburn for an Annie Lee aged 27.  If it's the right death that could be why James was with Critchley Almond in 1891

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 19:10 GMT (UK) »
L Stansfield was Louisa nee Smith as per birth reg of son John William Stansfield March qtr 1888

Marriages December qtr 1874     
Smith    Louisa         Rochdale    8e   56      
STANSFIELD    Joseph         Rochdale    8e   56

Offline AureliaSB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Critchley Almond isn't named on my grandfather James Moran's birth certificate but I know he is the father because l have a bastardy record  dated May 1880 ordering Critchley Almond to pay Ann Moran money each week towards my grandfather's welfare.

I don't think the Ann Moran who married John Lee in June 1881 is my great grandmother because her age doesn't fit, she has her age recorded as being 26 on the April 1881 census when she was living with my grandfather James Moran age 3 as lodgers on Friday St. in Blackburn, also on the Ann Moran & John Lee marriage the certificate is dated June 1881 this Ann Moran is recorded as being 25, also I don't think she would have given up the money being paid to her by Critchley 13 months after it had been awarded to her.

I also think there could have been a strong relationship between Critchley & Louisa Stansfield  after my great grandmother Ann Moran & the birth of my grandfather in 1878 , the strange thing is that neither Critchley or Louisa can be found anywhere on the 1881 census but as you say they were living together with my grandfather & other children on Peel Lane in Heywood near Rochdale on the 1891 census & in Oswaldtwistle on the 1901 & 1911 censuses, he died in Padiham in 1916 & was buried in the Immanuel churchyard Oswaldtwistle.

My great grandmother Ann Moran appears to have vanished after her being recorded on the 1881 census with my grandfather, so I am hoping that someone on one of the ancestry search sites may have some knowledge about what happened to her after 1881 as I would like to find out more about her, one thought is that she may have returned to Ireland in the 1880s so the responsibility of looking after my grandfather was passed on to Critchley his father.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 23:56 GMT (UK) »
also I don't think she would have given up the money being paid to her by Critchley 13 months after it had been awarded to her.

Wouldn't that have continued irrespective of any marriage?  You can't expect a new husband to support another mans child

they were living together with my grandfather & other children on Peel Lane in Heywood near Rochdale on the 1891 census & in Oswaldtwistle on the 1901 & 1911 censuses,

In 1901 Critchley is living alone and in 1911 he is in lodgings

In 1901 Louisa Stansfield is in lodgings in Todmorden