Author Topic: new beta on ancestry dna results  (Read 24339 times)

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: new beta on ancestry dna results
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 February 19 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Would I be wrong in thinking that this beta might only be on mobile devices i.e. iPads, Amazon Kindles etc?
yes
I'm on a pc, not mobile.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 February 19 12:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm confused about this because there was a big change last ?summer/autumn. Margaret started a thread,  It was announced discussed here:

http://paulbrooker.posthaven.com/ancestry-dot-com-updates-updated-previews-dna-beta-test-results

Are you sure that it is another version, since there have been no announcements or discussions as there was to the last one.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rezillo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 February 19 12:59 GMT (UK) »
It's a brand new interface, plus what were Hints pointing to your tree and a.n.other's are now Common Ancestors pointing to a lineage composed of two or more trees joined up to fill in generation gaps.

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 February 19 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm confused about this because there was a big change last ?summer/autumn. Margaret started a thread,  It was announced discussed here:

http://paulbrooker.posthaven.com/ancestry-dot-com-updates-updated-previews-dna-beta-test-results

Are you sure that it is another version, since there have been no announcements or discussions as there was to the last one.

Gadget

just had  a look at the blog post you linked to, I don't think they have 'changed' the ethnicity report in this beta - well apart from the fact that the first time I looked that whole page was missing (it's there now) - this beta seems to be all about the lists.

And if it is supposed to be something to make dna 'more fun', then it's not working for me   ;D >:(

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 February 19 14:54 GMT (UK) »
It's a brand new interface, plus what were Hints pointing to your tree and a.n.other's are now Common Ancestors pointing to a lineage composed of two or more trees joined up to fill in generation gaps.

Thank you for your posts in this thread. I have been following this thread with interest as on the face of it, it does sound like an exciting development.

OK I am a little concerned with "the pointing to a lineage composed of two or more trees joined up to fill in generation gaps"

given how some of the potential parent hints they give are clearly wrong and yet people still add them to their trees. That said I think there are potentially more positives than negatives.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Rezillo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 23 February 19 15:23 GMT (UK) »
OK I am a little concerned with "the pointing to a lineage composed of two or more trees joined up to fill in generation gaps"

given how some of the potential parent hints they give are clearly wrong and yet people still add them to their trees. That said I think there are potentially more positives than negatives.

You're quite right - you can't take them at face value without conducting your own checks but they have thrown up a huge amount of new leads.

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
  • James Aaron Grigg 1875-1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 07:38 GMT (UK) »
This morning I noticed a blue "1" next to the "Extras" tab at the top of my Ancestry DNA page.

Being a curious fellow I had a look.

At the bottom of the drop-down "Ancestry Lab" takes you to the option to enable or disable the beta.

Of course, this may not be available to all.

I'm off to check out some of the "common ancestors" matches .....
West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
South Bucks- Miller Mitchell Horton
Cornwall- Aunger Baker Grigg Luxton
Hants- Hine/Hind
South Oxon- Applebee Barlow Clark Edginton Elliott Fryzer Simmonds Toby
Suffolk- Chilvers Darby Philpot Russell Stone
Surrey- Edwards Knight Lanaway
Sussex- English Exeter Jeffery Knight Mugridge
Wilts Bishop

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Steve. I've just checked and I have it too.

I note that there are instructions for those who have previously used the Chrome browser.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 09:05 GMT (UK) »
This morning I noticed a blue "1" next to the "Extras" tab at the top of my Ancestry DNA page.

Being a curious fellow I had a look.

At the bottom of the drop-down "Ancestry Lab" takes you to the option to enable or disable the beta.

Of course, this may not be available to all.

I'm off to check out some of the "common ancestors" matches .....

This has appeared since I checked Ancestry first thing this morning.

However when I click on Ancestry Lab the page I'm taken to is "no longer available"  :-\
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk