Author Topic: Spr T.L.J. Divine Soldier who died on board the SS Ceramic  (Read 167 times)

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spr T.L.J. Divine Soldier who died on board the SS Ceramic
« on: Monday 18 February 19 17:59 GMT (UK) »
A friend of the family left me some papers, medals and other items relating to a soldier Sapper Tom Lennox Johnston Divine who died at sea in WWII. He was one of the many who died on board the SS Ceramic when it was hit by a torpedo in the North Atlantic.

One of the items included was a metal name tape. Please see photograph. Can anyone tell me what this was used for?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Spr T.L.J. Divine Soldier who died on board the SS Ceramic
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 19 19:16 GMT (UK) »
You could get those metal name strips from coin operated machines on railway platforms. I remember my Dad doing one for me when I was very small.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 19 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Guess work - as a metal tag with pin/nail holes each end it would perhaps have been fixed to a trunk rather than a piece of clothing.  If it wasn't known at least it shows which RE company he was in.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both of you. I just wondered if it was standard army issue or a home made tag but I think you're both right that it was probably made on a stamping machine (I have seen pictures of those) and used for a trunk or stitched to a kit bag. Although as he was lost at sea surely his kit would be lost with him so it's still a mystery how it survived.