Author Topic: Spr T.L.J. Divine Soldier who died on board the SS Ceramic  (Read 518 times)

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spr T.L.J. Divine Soldier who died on board the SS Ceramic
« on: Monday 18 February 19 17:59 GMT (UK) »
A friend of the family left me some papers, medals and other items relating to a soldier Sapper Tom Lennox Johnston Divine who died at sea in WWII. He was one of the many who died on board the SS Ceramic when it was hit by a torpedo in the North Atlantic.

One of the items included was a metal name tape. Please see photograph. Can anyone tell me what this was used for?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Spr T.L.J. Divine Soldier who died on board the SS Ceramic
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 19 19:16 GMT (UK) »
You could get those metal name strips from coin operated machines on railway platforms. I remember my Dad doing one for me when I was very small.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 19 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Guess work - as a metal tag with pin/nail holes each end it would perhaps have been fixed to a trunk rather than a piece of clothing.  If it wasn't known at least it shows which RE company he was in.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both of you. I just wondered if it was standard army issue or a home made tag but I think you're both right that it was probably made on a stamping machine (I have seen pictures of those) and used for a trunk or stitched to a kit bag. Although as he was lost at sea surely his kit would be lost with him so it's still a mystery how it survived.