Author Topic: Another fault on Ancestry?  (Read 3033 times)

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Another fault on Ancestry?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 February 19 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I had that the other day but it then worked fine afterwards.

The search engine is in a total atrocious state and the results are all over the place. It sometimes says "10 results" under "PCC Wills" for example, then when I go in it says "no matches".

Sounds similar to an issue I had on baptisms or marriages - it gave about 60 results, it was showing 20 per page, if I clicked next, I just got the same records even though it said page 2, clicked next again to page 3, still the same results. But if I changed the records showing to 50 per page, I did get the other records ???.

It has been going on for about a year now. And I seem to have the same problems again as Annette, I cannot see to view the Ancestry trees.

I was pleased to hear that Essex may be releasing their records on Anc soon, will make it easier with a search engine.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 February 19 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys,

It's good to read your comments as I have suffered most of them as well. One of the most annoying things is when I do a search, look at one or two records then click on the 'All Results' to go back to the list of records found, instead of being in Ancestry.co.uk I find myself in Ancestry.com !! (I use Edge)

Allan

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 February 19 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Another new one for me yesterday was I'm signed in and looking at various results from a search and clicked on results in 1939 register.   Clicked on one entry to view original page and up pops a box asking me to 'sign in'??    Duly do so (again) and then message stating 'you are signed in to ancestry.com and advising me to go to co.uk which I was in when I started the search!!!   Words fail me.

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 February 19 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I often get the "sign in" page come up when I have a yearly sub and I stay logged in. I usually go back a page then re click on the link and that usually works.

The Ancestry problems in the past year could be due to too many taking their DNA ethnicity tests and the site cannot cope.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 February 19 18:30 GMT (UK) »
It has been going on for about a year now. And I seem to have the same problems again as Annette, I cannot see to view the Ancestry trees. 

I had a one-month sub for January and looked at quite a few members' trees without any problem?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 February 19 07:10 GMT (UK) »
I too keep getting told to sign in, usually when I have been using the site for half an hour or more.
Also have noticed, when looking for births of married women, I only get results in their married names & for deaths, their maiden names.
I have started getting a message that the site is unusually busy, please try later & reams of American results when I have clearly requested England.
Luckily I only have a monthly sub, so will be giving up very shortly if things don.t improve.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 February 19 09:53 GMT (UK) »
This business of the system signing you out mid-search and bumping from .co.uk to .com has been going on for some time (not specific to any one browser).  I have complained about it and got a most exasperating response saying I didn’t need to switch between .co.uk and .com to see the full set of records. I know that!  That’s why I am complaining about it!!

I am finding Ancestry search is getting worse and worse.  It used to be good for searching by birthplace/location but it now seems to ignore location info completely (if set to “broad”, which it is defaulting to) or generate no results at all (if set to narrow, even if you know from another site that there are records which should come up).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 24 February 19 10:11 GMT (UK) »
I tend to use FindMyPast for most searches and Ancestry for just those that I can't get elsewhere.

However, I must be doing something right as I don't seem to have had any real problems with Ancestry for ages.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 24 February 19 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Agree with AllenUK.. its infuriating to be in Ancestry.com.au and then it changes to Ancestry.com half way through some searching so I have to start all over again. The standard of transcription is so poor to be laughable on some Australian elec rolls.
shume    australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia