Author Topic: Another fault on Ancestry?  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Another fault on Ancestry?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 February 19 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks also Heywood.  At least I know I'm not alone.   I replied to the initial acknowledgment that I had from Ancestry - reply back stating my case was answered by their expert!!!

Hello - no it wasn't!   Whatever has stopped me viewing the trees is presumably also the same thing that won't let me View the Answer from their expert.

Just going round in circles - have reported again explaining all and will see what happens this time.

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 February 19 19:54 GMT (UK) »
 ??? Was looking at a tree, on there, an hour ago.

Firefox on 7.
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 February 19 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Reported as I said a second time to explain all and just received same response as before.  Yet again clicked on the View Answer link and yet again ended up with a dead screen.

Went to report a 3rd time (clearly these people don't read anything) and on the email screen that comes up an avatar for the expert - this time an Audrey T. - came up.    Clicked on her and finally got to see her response.   Unfortunately, it's the usual response i.e. the tree viewing problem is a known glitch that Ancestry is currently working to resolve.  Whilst we haven't been given an estimated time frame for completion, we are all hoping it will be very soon'.

I won't hold my breath - I know of various 'faults' which have been reported over the past 12 months and to date none of them have been resolved!

So, yet again it's a case of grin and bear it! (Edge on 10)

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 February 19 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Amongst the other ’glitches’ I often get is the DNA circles box. It often displays ‘Currently, you aren't in any DNA Circles’ - it is like that now and was earlier but in between it shows that I am in 1 circle. I don’t use or refer to this feature but the site is just inconsistent.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 February 19 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Well, things get more bizarre.    Finally got to see the response from the Ancestry Expert when I first reported it.   That 'expert' said it was clearly a browser problem i.e. mine when I now know that others using Firefox and Chrome have the same problem.   She went on to say she was just a fellow user like myself so clearly no 'Ancestry Expert' at all (if so, we are all experts) and went on to say she knows of no tree viewing glitch and doesn't understand why the other expert told me that.

Ergo - as always, the same platitudes are given out in that it's either your browser issue or that they are aware of the problem and working to resolve it, neither of which is true (clearly just like their so-called Experts).

The second 'expert' tells me she has now passed my query to the Technical Department.

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 February 19 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Rarely will Ancestry acknowledge a fault or glitch. It is always a "problem " at our end.
You can try to clear your cache and cookies, and then try again. Sometimes that works with their various glitches. But the end problem is definitely with their software.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 February 19 22:45 GMT (UK) »
If I do a random search for someone and get a certain number under 'family trees' when I then click on this to view them all I get is a white box showing once again the total number of results, 10 per page, page 1 of 1 and that's it!   Can't actually view the trees at all.

This has only started today, has always been fine before - indeed was looking on trees yesterday.

Am I the only one having this problem (before I report to Ancestry)?

Annette

I had that the other day but it then worked fine afterwards.

The search engine is in a total atrocious state and the results are all over the place. It sometimes says "10 results" under "PCC Wills" for example, then when I go in it says "no matches".
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 February 19 22:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm about to take out a new sub with them. This is making me nervous.
Last time I had trouble with their card catalogue, only getting one or two pages of collections instead of what it should have been. Also couldn't find collections that I'd used previously; i had to search for them through Google to access them. Randomly got put onto the US site as well.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 February 19 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I had that the other day but it then worked fine afterwards.

The search engine is in a total atrocious state and the results are all over the place. It sometimes says "10 results" under "PCC Wills" for example, then when I go in it says "no matches".

Sounds similar to an issue I had on baptisms or marriages - it gave about 60 results, it was showing 20 per page, if I clicked next, I just got the same records even though it said page 2, clicked next again to page 3, still the same results. But if I changed the records showing to 50 per page, I did get the other records ???.