Author Topic: Two Scottish burial records  (Read 1408 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Two Scottish burial records
« on: Monday 08 April 19 16:06 BST (UK) »
Any help with reading these very much appreciated. It's the column describing the place of burial within the burial ground. Also the cause of death on one of them is eluding me
I suspect these two were husband and wife
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two Scottish burial records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 April 19 16:39 BST (UK) »
Can't decipher it, sorry. As the images seem to have come from SP, I'd contact them and explain the problem, I have done that a couple of times and they are 'very' helpful.

Do it via the 'problem with an image' link, response wont be immediate but they will usually review it for you as soon as they can and, if they deem it necessary, will re-scan it.

Boo

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 April 19 17:02 BST (UK) »
Tickettyboo, at least it's not just my eyesight. I've reported such things before & SP have been great at rescanning, I'm just a little impatient! Since posting I have found a corresponding will for one of the burials which confirms the family so at least one is correct!
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 12:40 BST (UK) »
So while awaiting a response from SP regards a rescan I had a go at reading this. I think it says
Alexr Mitchell ground in which the cord? was
lead? in north grave below the saying?
stone Alexr Mitchell father? weaver?
Cause of death I see Ass???el

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 13:38 BST (UK) »
This is a good one, isn't it?!  ???

I thought the same as you about the first snippet, apart from thinking that it looks more like "bord" than "cord".
His letters are terribly inconsistent...

I was also unsure about "ground" after the name - there are too many strokes for it to be "ound" and the "r" is different from others on the page. (Which doesn't mean much...)

However, in the second one, it does indeed look like "ground".

In the 2nd one, I see:

Harriet (Holm?) ground in which
the (bod?) was in (need/used?) graves (if the?)
ground and is north side of (???)
(???) grave Alex Mitchell mother (or possibly another) 
uneven?)

Crumbs...

Could bord/bod be some kind of old Scottish word for body?

COD in the first one looks like Assamel, so I assume I'm seeing that wrong!  ::)
I wondered if it was assault, but the letters don't work...

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 13:46 BST (UK) »
Karen, thanks for the input. I think the name on the second snip is Janet Hobe but this may be wishful thinking on my part. The Alexander Mitchell in the first record was married to a Janet Hobb and he died before her. The reference to Alexander Mitchell in her burial makes me hope it is her.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 April 19 21:24 BST (UK) »
I had a go at Janet's before reading Karen's reply, and we are quite close.

Janet Hobe ground in which
the bod was in (used? need?) grave of the
ground and on  (south or north)  side of ? ?
? ? of ground Alex Mitchell mother
xxxx (possibly signature of the person making the entry)

The letters at the start of line 4 look like ue, which makes me wonder if it's a continuation of the last unknown word in line 3.  Statue came to mind, but that isn't a word for gravestone.

As for the "assumel word on Alex's.... I wonder if it should be "assumed", and he didn't bother writing in more info ... such as assumed heart attack, etc.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 April 19 08:22 BST (UK) »
I'm still unsure about her name. I thought Janet at first, but I see too many strokes in the middle of the word for it to be just an "n"... Now I can only see "Harriet" with a bit of a vague "H".  ::)

I think this one is going to occupy us for a while..!
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 April 19 10:07 BST (UK) »

As for the "assumel word on Alex's.... I wonder if it should be "assumed", and he didn't bother writing in more info ... such as assumed heart attack, etc.
Have to say this thought crossed my mind.
Thanks again for the input & thoughts