Author Topic: Trying to trace my earliest ancestor......but struggling!  (Read 6931 times)

Offline GD40

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to trace my earliest ancestor......but struggling!
« on: Monday 29 April 19 16:56 BST (UK) »
With your help, I have managed to trace my lineage back to Richard de la Diakne, born in 1212. He had a son, John 2nd Baldwin Dakin Dakeyne born apparently in 1388.
He had a son, Sir Thomas Dakin born in 1410, who married Margaret Worthington, also born 1n 1410.
If anybody can expand on this, I would be most grateful.
I am also trying to find out more about Alicia de la Pole born in 1480 to John de la Pole, Duke of Suffolk and Jane Okover.
You've always managed to unearth information that I've struggled with, so I live in hope.
Cheers,
Geoff Deakin.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace my earliest ancestor......but struggling!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 19 17:10 BST (UK) »
With your help, I have managed to trace my lineage back to Richard de la Diakne, born in 1212. He had a son, John 2nd Baldwin Dakin Dakeyne born apparently in 1388.

I would be very surprised if anyone born in 1212 could father a child born in 1388, it's a gap of 176 years!
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 April 19 17:25 BST (UK) »
What sources did you use?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 April 19 17:39 BST (UK) »
What sources did you use?

Gadget
Not a calculator!
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline GD40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 April 19 17:43 BST (UK) »
No... not a calculator!

I am using Ancestry, but couldn't bridge the age gap!

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 April 19 17:53 BST (UK) »
Ancestry can be a complete quagmire of repeatedly copied and unchecked sources. If I were you I'd start with the earliest family or person for which you can real evidence and records, research them as thoroughly as possible before trying to go back a generation.
Getting back to the 11th or 12th century is no use if it's fiction. Most of the lines I researched I have got back to the mid 1700s with some certainty using a combination of parish records and wills, some lines another generation further back.
It can be just as interesting and rewarding to build a picture of your ancestors using as many sources as possible, maps, old books, newspaper articles etc and really get a feel for them, as it is to get back to William the Conqueror etc.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 April 19 18:26 BST (UK) »
As cristeen has said, Ancestry trees are often fictions.

As an example, I've just put Alicia de la Pole, 1480, into their search and find that her parents are recorded in one tree as George Pole and Margaret, Duchess of York.!!!

You need to work back from ancestors that you can source via parish records, wills, various documents, etc. and definitely not Ancestry trees.  After 20-30 years of research, I have a few lines that go back to medieval times and some that barely creep into the 18th century. My tree (s) are very wide though, with descendants of ancestors's kin, etc. Also, the wealth of other information that cristeen has mentioned.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 April 19 18:42 BST (UK) »
You can't rely on Ancestry.

For Medieval sources available online, the best place to start is here:

http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/index.html

He has sources for many medieval records.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 April 19 19:26 BST (UK) »
I am also trying to find out more about Alicia de la Pole born in 1480 to John de la Pole, Duke of Suffolk and Jane Okover.

Was this John de la Pole, 2nd Duke of Suffolk, 1442-1492?  Did he marry Jane Okover ?
He married Elizabeth Plantagenet, sister of King Edward IV. According to info on this site that marriage produced 11 children, youngest on list was Richard born 1480. www.englishmonarchs.co.uk/plantagenet_51.html
Are Jane Okover and Alice de la Pole mentioned in any biography of the duke? A properly researched biography will have sources for original documents.
Cowban