Author Topic: Trees Private AND Searchable?  (Read 3014 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Trees Private AND Searchable?
« on: Saturday 11 May 19 12:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry if this has already been covered - (I must have been off sick that day!)

But what does it mean when the 'new' profile page tells me that a match has a 'PRIVATE SEARCHABLE TREE'?

I thought it was one or the other, but not both - and private trees were NOT SEARCHABLE by their very nature?

Confused...

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trees Private AND Searchable?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 May 19 12:50 BST (UK) »
I believe what that means is that the tree is private so others can not look at it. However it is searchable in that it turns up in search results and then if you want to look at the tree itself you have to message the tree owner and ask them for access.

EDIT: This is what Ancestry says

Private Tree

This setting makes your tree "Private" so that it can't be viewed as a Public Member Tree. Note that the information from your tree will still be indexed for searching, but those who find your information can't view your tree without your permission.

What does this mean?
Even if you don't share your tree, other members can still learn if a specific deceased individual is in your tree, in addition to the birth year and birthplace of the person and your username (but no personal information about you).

They can then contact you anonymously through the Connection Service on Ancestry sites to request more information. Keep in mind that members who want to learn from your tree may also have helpful information about your tree to offer you in exchange.

(Option) Also prevent your tree from being found in the search index.

Note: although your tree will instantly become public or private, it usually takes about a month or more to be reflected in the search index.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 May 19 13:23 BST (UK) »
I have mine Private but Searchable.... so if I have Joe Bloggs born Tiwanaku 1777 and you have Joe Bloggs born Tiwanaku 1777 we will both get a Hint of this one Person as a possible match.

I can't see and then rob your Tree nor you mine.

You have to contact me or I contact you.... or we can Ignore each other   ;D ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 May 19 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks, davidft.

So, my private tree is really not private unless I click on the option ' Also prevent yout tree from being found in the search index'?

It seems to me that searchable trees are 'key' to us DNA types in locating matches, common ancestors, Thrulines etc so I'm okay with that as long as it doesn't show up when any old Tom, Dick or Harold searches on Public Trees. It also seems like a damn good idea to put as many siblings and children on there in order to take advantage of the fact.

Cue: my mission (should I choose to accept it!) for the next few months!!!  ::)

ADDED: hallmark - I get plenty of those 'ignores' already!!

HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 May 19 14:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks, davidft.

So, my private tree is really not private unless I click on the option ' Also prevent yout tree from being found in the search index'?

Yes that is the only way to make it totally private.

It also seems like a damn good idea to put as many siblings and children on there in order to take advantage of the fact.

Yes they do actually recommend that somewhere in their familytrees or DNA notes sections as a way of increasing your chances of making \ confirming matches. However there search facility isn't the easiest so no direct link.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 May 19 10:40 BST (UK) »
The bit that puzzles me is how you can search on a name and list of matches come up without any trees at all. How does Ancestry know a person without a tree has Mungo-Bloggins in their line?

EDIT: Sorry, I should clarify this is for DNA matches. Sorry again if I'm on the wrong board.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 May 19 12:07 BST (UK) »
The bit that puzzles me is how you can search on a name and list of matches come up without any trees at all. How does Ancestry know a person without a tree has Mungo-Bloggins in their line?

EDIT: Sorry, I should clarify this is for DNA matches. Sorry again if I'm on the wrong board.

My opinion. What they are doing is not comparing one person with one person but comparing one person with a whole bunch of people who share some DNA. Of the ones that share a specific section of DNA say the same 35cM on chromosome 9 they then look to see if any of them have a tree and if two or more do they then suggest the common ancestors in those trees to all who share the 35cM match on chromosome 9. It is a bit hit and miss and that is why all "suggested" matches need to be independently verified. Alas some people see its a match from Ancestry and so must be right, but it not always is, and add it to their tree and that is how bad trees with spurious and incorrect information proliferate over time.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 May 19 12:25 BST (UK) »
I suppose what also doesn't help is them not showing you shared matches below 20cM. Here's someone with Mungo-Bloggins in a search, without a tree, but they're at 19.85cM so you can't see where the match may be coming from. Ah well, keeps the brain active.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 May 19 13:56 BST (UK) »
This has set me off -

I started adding more obscure rellies to my private tree yesterday - children and wives of siblings etc.

I had a good laugh: found one who'd married a Minnie Cooper!!

Then I nearly cried when I found one who'd not only lost two sons in WW1 but, when I l looked more closely, they were killed on the same day (worked out it was probably Ypres). How heart breaking must that have been?

HELP!!!