Author Topic: HUNT, George - soldier born 1841  (Read 5589 times)

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HUNT, George - soldier born 1841
« on: Wednesday 22 May 19 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have the transcript of a George HUNT, born 1841 in Bermondsey, Surrey UK. In 1911 he is living in Camberwell (London) as an army pensioner. His wife is probably one Emily Harriett (nee AUSTIN) born 1846, Chichester, Sussex.

How can I find out which army unit George was in please?

George could be my maternal-side great grandfather.

Many thanks :)
Lee, Fountain, Stevens, Kemp

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HUNT, George - soldier born 1841
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 May 19 04:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, kr236rk

When you say you "Have the transcript" - what do you have a transcript of?

Oft times clues to Army records or regiments can come from birth records of children, or Census.

This is  the same George as in 1911, in the two prior Census 1901 and 1891:

1901 CENSUS: At 18 Sandison Street, Peckham, Camberwell
Head: George R. HUNT 60, Mang Ling? , (wash), b Bermondsey (can't work out occupation)
Wife: Emily HUNT 54, b Chichester, Sussex (she has the same occupation dittoed)
Boarder: Charles A BULLIVANT, 27, unm, Cricket Bat maker, b Lambeth

1891  CENSUS: At 57-58 Lodging House, Old Nichol Street,
RG12; Piece: 256; Folio: 11; Page: 18
Head: George HUNT 50, Manager, Lodging House, b Bermondsey
Wife: Emily HUNT 44, b Chichester, Sussex

Did the 1911 Census, say there was ever any children born to their marriage ( this is part of the questions on that Census)?

Note there is a middle initial "R" for George in 1891.

The HUNT-AUSTIN Marriage in 1871 which may or may not be the right couple is:
George HUNT, Full age, Bachelor, Labourer, father; George HUNT, Leather Dresser?
Emily Harriet AUSTIN, Full age, Spinster, of Bermondsey, father: Thomas AUSTIN Dec'd, Carpenter
Married 29 May 1871 at St Paul Bermondsey

Could you share details of the generation you do know about, the maternal side grandparent, whom you think may be the child of the above George HUNT of 1891-1911?

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 May 19 12:41 BST (UK) »

When you say you "Have the transcript" - what do you have a transcript of?

Could you share details of the generation you do know about, the maternal side grandparent, whom you think may be the child of the above George HUNT of 1891-1911?

Thanks Ambly,

Better take this one stage at a time.

Found this transcript at FindMyPast.

George HUNT, Head, Married 1872, 70, b.1841, Bermondsey, Occupation: Army Pensioner, 18 Sandison Street, Peckham, Camberwell. Others in household: Emily HUNT. Census 1911. Reg dist 27, Enum dist 2, Dist No. 2, subdistrict Peckham, sub dist no. 6.

No mention of children but as a pensioner any children may have left the household.

A certain George HUNT 'soldier' was my great grandfather who had a liaison with Louisa POWELL [bc.1840] my great grandmother resulting in the birth of Louisa Mary POWELL [b.1859], my grandmother - who took her mother's surname because there was no marriage. (Birth dates edited / amended).

The 'Mary' in my grandmother's name is unexplained, I can't see any related Powell with this name at this time.

Born 1859, Louisa Powell's parents were Thomas POWELL [b.1798] and Charlotte WILLOUGHBY [bc.1800], perhaps the Mary name comes from this part of the family line?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 May 19 13:01 BST (UK) »
A certain George HUNT 'soldier' was my great grandfather who had a liaison with Louisa POWELL [b.1859] my great grandmother resulting in the birth of Louisa Mary POWELL [bc.1840], my grandmother

Have you got the birth years the wrong way round?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 May 19 13:03 BST (UK) »
Apologies, I will check those dates.

This is  the same George as in 1911, in the two prior Census 1901 and 1891:

1901 CENSUS: At 18 Sandison Street, Peckham, Camberwell
Head: George R. HUNT 60, Mang Ling? , (wash), b Bermondsey (can't work out occupation)
Wife: Emily HUNT 54, b Chichester, Sussex (she has the same occupation dittoed)
Boarder: Charles A BULLIVANT, 27, unm, Cricket Bat maker, b Lambeth

There are several references to laundry work on the paternal side of the family, so 'the wash' & mangling make sense in that context I feel.

A maker of cricket bats (I have this listed as 'toy' on a 1901 census transcript) is unskilled work, like working in the wash.

Bullivant is an unusual name of French origin, there is a reference to it here. I include it because Travellers were also identified with unskilled work, like the laundries.

1881 Census for Tin Smiths in England: "Thomas Bullivant Ann, Bc 1853 Sheffield, Yorkshire, England Head Ecclesall Bierlow, Yorkshire"

http://romanyconnections.wikifoundry.com/page/1881+Census+Tinsmiths+%26+White+smiths%3A

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 May 19 13:09 BST (UK) »
A certain George HUNT 'soldier' was my great grandfather who had a liaison with Louisa POWELL [b.1859] my great grandmother resulting in the birth of Louisa Mary POWELL [bc.1840], my grandmother

Have you got the birth years the wrong way round?

It appears so, yes: the similar names confuse me and I am not very good with figures.

Louisa POWELL [bc.1840] my great grandmother & Louisa Mary POWELL [b.1859], my grandmother. My grandmother moved from Hampstead (Middlesex) to Bromley (Kent) where she remained; I remember her well in her very Victorian room at Bromley. The reason for the move to Kent is a mystery.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 May 19 13:15 BST (UK) »
The 1861 "worldwide army index" lists 16 British Army soldiers named George Hunt.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 May 19 13:42 BST (UK) »

Found this transcript at FindMyPast.

George HUNT, Head, Married 1872, 70, b.1841, Bermondsey, Occupation: Army Pensioner,
18 Sandison Street, Peckham, Camberwell.
Others in household:
Emily HUNT
Census 1911. Reg dist 27, Enum dist 2, Dist No. 2, subdistrict Peckham, sub dist no. 6.

No mention of children but as a pensioner any children may have left the household.

Don't know if this relates to the above George Hunt a marriage on 10 January 1892 at St John Fitzroy Sq London

George HUNT 45 widow occ Pensioner 9 H(or?)land Street father George occ publican
Emily LANTZKE 36 widow 30 (H?)land Street father George GOLDRING (dec’d) Goldbeater
Witnesses William Bould?nt & Annie Goldring

Emily Goldring married John Frederick William Lantzke on 29 Dec 1878 at All Souls Church

EDIT

Opps  ::) I've just noticed years married (39) - so probably no connection to your George

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 May 19 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for clarifying  the family connections.

Although there was no marriage between George HUNT and Louisa POWELL,  were they know to have lived together at any time as in a state of marriage?  Just wondering, where George HUNT's name was recorded as the father of Louisa Mary POWELL - was it on her 1859 Birth Certificate?

Cheers
AMBLY

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)