Author Topic: Video Tutorials  (Read 9121 times)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Video Tutorials
« on: Tuesday 16 August 05 10:29 BST (UK) »
I am in the process of producing some streaming video tutorials for Photoshop. I have started to put together a tutorial on scanning your photos. I look forward to you input and suggestions for improvements I could do to make them easier to follow.

These .mp4 files use the Apple H.264 video codec. This means you will need Quicktime 7.
The new H.264 codec allows you to watch streaming video at a higher resolution at a much reduced file size.
The first tutorial on quick mask selections that I have on the web site goes for 1minute 37 seconds and is only 1.8Mb.
With the old codecs the same file would be the size of a postage stamp and three times the file size.

The windows version of Quicktime 7 is a 23.4Mb download but it's well worth the effort. Here's the link. http://tinyurl.com/agtbm

You can get the macintosh version here http://tinyurl.com/exzuz

You can check them out at the web site I have created at http://home.exetel.com.au/tippercleary/deadants/
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Video Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 16:26 BST (UK) »
Looks good deadants - keep up the good work

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Gary56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Henley Beach Jetty 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Deadants ... Nice job on the tutorial ...

Had to d/l the 23Mb file ... but it was worth it ... luckily have broadband at work!!!

I would add the same comment as before ... Just a tad quick for those "novices" out there I would think ...

I'm sure you are a bit like me when doing some restoration work ... auto-pilot kicks in and before we know it the job is done at lightening speed ... ;)

Regards,

Gary Wilkinson
www.restoring-photos-made-easy.com
Wilkinson, Carr, Lovell - West Riding of Yorkshire

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi guys,
  Your not wrong about auto pilot. It just sot of happens in front of my eyes. I tend to have a workflow that is make it up as I go.

Doing tutorials makes you slow down and explain the process that produces a result without all the trial and error. Which means I have to rehearse a couple of times to get it right.

I love it if someone with windows could have a go at a few PSP tutorials. I have a MacIntosh so I'm limited to Adobe Photoshop.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 09:53 BST (UK) »
I have put three more tutorials for scanning. They are fairly basic and are for the mac but the same principle applies to most scanners. I'm trying to get something together for saving files for posting on the web with IrfanView for windows. The best I can do with that is screen dumps of the pertinent steps.

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi deadants,

I know you said you have a Mac - I have Windows XP - can get your first tutorial to work - but the others don't - start to play in new window then get an error message regarding Internet brouser - and everything then shuts down!!

Me or you?? (nothing on your site to say they only run on macs)

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 14:54 BST (UK) »
Deadants,
I am encountering problems too.  The first tutorial opens, only if I right click and "open link", won't open by 2x clicking on it.
The others when I try do the same, but only get as far as trying to open "open link" and then I get an error message "Internet explorer has encountered a problem and has closed down, happened several times..."
The first video is still a little fast... (I just need a second more to see what you are selecting) to follow what you are exactly doing and why, what is the objective and what will it do by doing what you're doing?
hmm I know what I mean...
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 14:55 BST (UK) »
should have said I'm using Windows XP
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 23:24 BST (UK) »
Ok I'm working on it. Teething problems :(