Author Topic: McDonnell, McDonald and conflicting birth dates, baptism and birth registration  (Read 1372 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Baptism St Anne's shows Christopher born 16th December with Baptism 28th December 1881.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Canadian Goose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Yes, have been going in circles with this one.  My starting point was Leo McDonald (grandfather). His birth registration and baptism match with family history.  Parents Michael and Mary Ann marriage registration of 21 Aug 1876, Michael McDonnell and Mary Anne Sherriff, both widowed.  Mary Anne Sherriff shows Joseph Smith, builder as her father.  My grandfather was born 11 Apr. 1877 on baptism and general registration so the timing of marriage and his birth work.  1881 census has family in West Derby as MacDonnell, everything OK except  inclusion of step son to Michael, George Sherriff.  Explains the widow status and Smith/Sherriff of marriage reg.  Children Leo, Esther, Christopher and Bernard all baptized at St. Anne, Liverpool. All match with census entries or as close as the census can get.

Pretty sure I have the right family, other than the Sherriff puzzle, but that is another story.  LOL

Still come back to discrepancy in birth dates. 

Offline Canadian Goose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you Maiden Stone!  Was not aware of a late registration fee but that would explain it. Thinking they wouldn't lie to a priest but the registration office would be a different story.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thomas George Sherriff born 8th March 1868 baptised 15th March 1868
Parents John Sherriff and Mary Ann (Smith)
Godparents Joseph Smith and Catherine Smith

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Just in case you don’t have much of the Sherriff details (you refer to a puzzle), there are other births, baptisms and deaths.

There is a death for John Sherriff, aged 49 yrs March quarter 1874
There is a baptism ‘sub conditione’
3rd February 1874 x just the name John Sherriff with no other details.
 I wonder if John snr was baptised before death  :-\
Others:
Joseph Thomas 1866
Mary Katherine 1870

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Births and Deaths Registration Act 1874. Births were supposed to be registered within 42 days. Onus for registering was now on parents, occupier of house where a birth happened or a person present at a birth. There was a fee of 2 shillings and sixpence to superintendent registrar and 2 shillings and sixpence to the registrar for registering a birth 3 months after the birth occurred. I'm not sure about fee between 43 days and 3 months.
Cowban

Offline Canadian Goose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you heywood, yes I have the baptism of Thomas George Sherriff.  I believe the Godparents are a brother and sister to Mary Ann Smith Sherriff.  Have yet to make a definitive connection to a Joseph Smith family from 1871 census in Liverpool.

From what I understand sub conditione was used for infants that were not expected to live or if they were unsure of whether the person being baptized had it done before.  I have a file of of this kind of thing on this family, just cannot make a connection, only assumptions.

Maiden Stone thank you for the registration act.  Going with that reason for the differing birth dates.
Good to know if I run across it again.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
as I understand it, sub conditione, as you say is used if there is doubt about the person’s previous baptism.
It fits with the death of a person named John Sherriff but you would need the death certificate.