Author Topic: Hanwell Lunatic Asylum  (Read 2359 times)

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hanwell Lunatic Asylum
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 June 19 22:40 BST (UK) »
Some photos taken early last year the cars in the last one are on what was a wharf where coal ect was fetched in from the canal alongside & laundry & grown food products taken out

Offline HallJulia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 13:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information Jane and the wonderful photos. I am clutching at straws trying to find my Children’s Grt Aunt’s Birth Certificate or even evidence of Birth/Birth Name.  We know a lot about Aunt Mabel Casselden, her given birth date on the 1939 census is 29 Dec 1900.  Mabel’s Marriage Lines, say her maiden name was Hall; however, we know for a fact that Mabel was only fostered by Robert (Bob) and Emily Hall.  Mabel is shown on the 1901 Census as Mabel Gurnsey, three months old,  born in Hanwell and ‘Boarding’ with Bob and Emily Hall.  In 1911 Census Mabel has become Mabel Hall and shown as daughter of Bob and Emily Hall.  We know Mabel had contact with her Birth Mother and have them together in a couple of family photos.  One theory that I am currently following is that Mabel may have been born to an inmate/nurse at Hanwell Asylum, where both Bob and Emily worked as staff.  I met Mabel on a couple of occasions when I was young, and she carried an air of importance about her.  Mabel was also called Molly by the Hall side of the family (no relation to me just a coincidence in surname).  We also know Mabel was illegitimate as that is how her Father-in-Law brought her down a peg or two when Mabel decided to get on her high horse.  Mabel only had one son, now deceased.  I have done all the standard checks on Births and name variation with no success as the babies either turn up on elsewhere on the 1900/1911 census or have deceased within a ten-year timescale.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 June 19 00:17 BST (UK) »
Interesting to note that mabel remained in the same area all her life till her son was born & Robert hall is given as her  father & also a witness  when she married & that when she married she gives her occupation as a mental nurse. did she die within less than 2 months  of  her husband .assuming the son received the probate that made him a v rich young man although it looks as if  like his mother he did not live long to spend it

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 June 19 10:01 BST (UK) »
Birth registration
March 1901 Brentford 3a 163
Dubber, Mabel Matilda
Mother's Maiden Surname: —

So probably illegitimate.

Dubber baptism, 5 January 1902, at St Mary Hanwell
Mabel
parents Robert James + Matilda Dubber
abode 14 Westminster Road
father an Attendant

That is the address of the Halls and Mabel in the 1901 census.

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 June 19 10:14 BST (UK) »
Birth registration
Dubber, Mabel Matilda

Mabel
father an Attendant

Good searching you beat me to it John I was just about to post the baptism details

Offline HallJulia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 June 19 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane
Yes Mabel and Fred died within weeks of each other and had a double funeral.  Mabel’s Son, always called Geoffrey – never shortened  - died in 1983, leaving family who are still living.  Mabel either worked at Nuggett Boot Polish Company, Ealing, or was the “Bosses Daughter”, this being one of the many, many family rumours about our Mabel; our generation (the 1949’s and older) think Mabel worked at Nuggett Boot Polish Company, where her future husband worked and that is how they met.  I believe Frederick Casselden may have boarded with Mabel’s parents as that is the address shown on their marriage lines?   Interestingly, Mabel and Fred’s only son was employed by, I think,  Reckitt & Colman plc on the boot polish side and reached Board level (however, I am going to have to check my facts on this). There are various family stories about our Mabel, the more flamboyant ones created by Mabel herself.  Fred loved her very much and protected her.  Mabel remained close to her Foster Brother Bob, birth name: Cyril St.Clair Gower or Sinclair.  Cyril’s  birth certificate has been uncovered and hopefully I have attached it to this – it is all very interesting and fascinating how ‘things’ are covered up!  There is NO evidence that Arthur Sinclair and Kate Gower actually married?   I hope I have not gone off on too much of a tangent, I just find it all so interesting that the sleuth  in me gets hooked.

Offline HallJulia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 June 19 10:59 BST (UK) »
Jon65 and Jane, well that is my day sorted - this is a totally new name for me, and the link is very very interesting.  I am very new to this site and hope my replies get to you OK.  Many thanks for this information.  Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to up load Cyril's very interesting Birth Certificate to this site - too large.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 June 19 11:14 BST (UK) »
Birth registration
Dubber, Mabel Matilda

Mabel
father an Attendant

Excellent baptism find John, I was looking at that birth registration yesterday but could not progress with it.  ;D

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HallJulia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 July 19 12:42 BST (UK) »
I should just like to thank everyone who responded to my  cry for help on the Hanwell Lunatic Asylum and finding our Mabel's Birth Records - you all preserved my sanity!  I have now received a copy of Mabel's Birth Certificate from the GRO.  Many thanks to you all again.