Author Topic: DNA Results In! :-o  (Read 3407 times)

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Results In! :-o
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 18:34 BST (UK) »
Yes, you can share information. However, be careful about relying on information in other trees. Some people are diligent researchers and source their finds appropriately. Some just pluck the first instance of a name that they see and set off climbing the wrong branch. Always check sources.

It's difficult though - the further back in time you go, the more challenging the documents become, you can end up with virually identical results, yet one is correct & the other one is an unrelated family - there isn't a 'sand box' so people are going to slot results in, in case they get lost?

Have had no responses yet which is frustrating, to think others have spent hours researching these family lines then show no interest in parallel research.

I do appreciate the Ancestry 'hints' though - they can galvanise the inquiry - but they can also lead the research astray.

At least I can log both sides of the family now, I will worry about the 'grandparent pairing' system when I have everyone on the tree, then I can see which grandparents are missing.

This is all quite independent of the dna results at the moment.
Lee, Fountain, Stevens, Kemp

Offline Jo6100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 20:45 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry you can save resources you’re not sure about into your Shoebox - it’ll be offered as an option when you save. The Shoebox is then found on your homepage so you can go back and check/ attach/ delete as and when.

Jo

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 21:34 BST (UK) »
You mentioned that your tree is independent of your DNA results at the moment. Connect your DNA result to you in your tree and it will be easier for both you and your matches to figure out the connections. To do this go into Settings from the DNA home page. Look for “Family Tree Linking” which is on the left.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 04 July 19 00:09 BST (UK) »
You mentioned that your tree is independent of your DNA results at the moment. Connect your DNA result to you in your tree and it will be easier for both you and your matches to figure out the connections. To do this go into Settings from the DNA home page. Look for “Family Tree Linking” which is on the left.

Wow, done it - thanks!

Have already uploaded as far back as I got on the paternal tree, with 'hints' hopefully going to get me further back on my POWELL line. Next is to upload the maternal side, & then some relations photographs (one Victorian) taking care not to make anything sensitive public, of course.

Thanks again :)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 04 July 19 00:12 BST (UK) »
Well done. One step at a time. You will get there  :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 04 July 19 00:31 BST (UK) »
Well done. One step at a time. You will get there  :)

Thank you :)

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 05 July 19 18:16 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry you can save resources you’re not sure about into your Shoebox - it’ll be offered as an option when you save. The Shoebox is then found on your homepage so you can go back and check/ attach/ delete as and when.

Jo

Many thanks :)

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 11 July 19 22:58 BST (UK) »

...the best approach if you are new to it is to just start working systematically through your highest matches to see where they fit into your tree

Re: the INNELL I found, on contacting the 'tree holder', it turned out the holder was a descendant of my father's half-sister (senior to him in age) who he may never of known about, since she was fathered out of wedlock. So there's a little piece of the family tree mystery solved, just a shame my father wasn't around to learn of it, he passed away in 2013. 

Offline kr236rk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 13 July 19 12:51 BST (UK) »
Am following up two hits from the Ancestry dna results, an INNELL as a 'litmus' because it is such a comparatively unusual name & therefore hopefully easier to search for, and a POWELL.

The INNELL generations on my tree just fall short of the INNELL at Ancestry but I have matched the dates at FindMyPast.

Also have FindMyPast date matches for two POWELL names from the dna result trees.

Cannot find the 'Tree Holder' for the POWELL names on GEDmatch though, that's odd, he must share genes or he wouldn't come up under my results, he's not listed at GEDmatch results. So I can't contact him to see if my tree bears any relation to his?

Will update.

Hi,

So much has happened over the last 48 hours I have lost track.

Someone earlier kindly advised me to obtain my great grandmother's 1915 marriage certificate to see what name she put down for her father. The certificate eventually arrived. She chose 'Benwell' which was the surname of her father-in-law. Her biological father is known as George Hunt [soldier] on her original marriage certificate, she was fathered out of wedlock. All attempts to find George Hunt have met with no success currently, there were lots of George Hunts in the army at this time.

There is a George Hunt army pensioner living in Southwark abt 1911 but there are no records for army pensioners at this date, as far as I am aware. I am certain that this is the right person though. But that's as far as I can go at the moment, something else may turn up.

Have now contacted the Powell relation mentioned above, I found the contact details on a different list which was generated at the GEDmatch site.

Many thanks.