Author Topic: Ancestry vs MyHeritage vs FindMyPast  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry vs MyHeritage vs FindMyPast
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 00:24 BST (UK) »
If you are finding AncestryDNA not very useful then you may need to spend more time figuring out how it works. Learn how to group matches with colour coding and how to leverage the Common Ancestors functionality. It is the easiest of all of the DNA sites to when it comes to identifying how your matches fit into your tree.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 00:41 BST (UK) »
If you are finding AncestryDNA not very useful then you may need to spend more time figuring out how it works. Learn how to group matches with colour coding and how to leverage the Common Ancestors functionality. It is the easiest of all of the DNA sites to when it comes to identifying how your matches fit into your tree.

Thanks for getting back to me. I think it is more that most people I share DNA with don't have common surnames in their tree and we can't find out how we match, also I have alot of illegitimate births in my tree and the father could be anyone :(
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 July 19 17:56 BST (UK) »
When you are aware of an illegitimate birth then you need to start grouping matches that could lie in that part of your tree and then analyse their trees to look for their common ancestors. This can give you clues as to the ancestral lines for the father of the illegitimate child.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 July 19 21:57 BST (UK) »
When you are aware of an illegitimate birth then you need to start grouping matches that could lie in that part of your tree and then analyse their trees to look for their common ancestors. This can give you clues as to the ancestral lines for the father of the illegitimate child.

Thank you very much for the tip 😊
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

If you’re looking at which site to subscribe to in order to access records (separate from questions about DNA research) then some of the key points for me are as follows:

- Ancestry is great because it syncs with Family Tree Maker, which I use like Chas, who posted earlier.
- FindMyPast has a better search facility, and also benefits from including the British Newspaper Archive.

Then, it comes down to coverage of different counties for parish records. Ancestry has comprehensive coverage of West Yorkshire, Gloucestershire and London. FindMyPast is essential if you’re researching for ancestors in Devon or Cheshire.

I started out with just Ancestry but for the last few years I’ve subscribed to both as my tree has grown.
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 14:38 BST (UK) »
I have not tried MyHeritage yet, as I thought many records there are American but I stand corrected. I always use Ancestry or FindMyPast. So glad Ancestry have released Essex records.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 July 19 09:41 BST (UK) »

Ah thank you, that is really helpful. I have started doing that and am finding some interesting links. Sadly many of my matches don't have trees and don't reply to messages but as more people get their DNA done in time perhaps these blanks might be filled. Thanks for your help :)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 July 19 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

If you’re looking at which site to subscribe to in order to access records (separate from questions about DNA research) then some of the key points for me are as follows:

- Ancestry is great because it syncs with Family Tree Maker, which I use like Chas, who posted earlier.
- FindMyPast has a better search facility, and also benefits from including the British Newspaper Archive.

Then, it comes down to coverage of different counties for parish records. Ancestry has comprehensive coverage of West Yorkshire, Gloucestershire and London. FindMyPast is essential if you’re researching for ancestors in Devon or Cheshire.

I started out with just Ancestry but for the last few years I’ve subscribed to both as my tree has grown.

Hi,
Thank you very much for getting back to me. I have just got family tree maker on the recommendations from this post and because I have loads of missing Devon and Chester records I have subscribed to FindMyPast. My Mum and Dad renewed my Ancestry account top so I am all set  for the next year.
Thank you very much for your helpful advice :)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 July 19 09:47 BST (UK) »
I have not tried MyHeritage yet, as I thought many records there are American but I stand corrected. I always use Ancestry or FindMyPast. So glad Ancestry have released Essex records.

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I have subscribed to FindMyPast and Ancestry now for the next year. Best of luck with researching the Essex records, I hope that you find what you are looking for :)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)