Author Topic: Help please dating and locating a family holiday photo Minnie Swingler and John  (Read 3155 times)

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please dating and locating a family holiday photo Minnie Swingler and John
« Reply #27 on: Monday 16 September 19 14:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who helped, esp Peter for the cleaned up version. It's much appreciated.

I just showed the picture to my mum and she said the boy on the left is my granddad (not who I thought it was). He was born in 1914 and looks about 8 or 9 so that dates it to 1922-23, so it is earlier than I thought. She told me the family sometimes holidayed in Cromer but I don't think this is Cromer.

Offline Horbat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help please dating and locating a family holiday photo Minnie Swingler and John
« Reply #28 on: Monday 16 September 19 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In view of the apparent width of the pier, the thickness of the supports, the lack of buildings on the structure and the sandy beach, could this be Ryde IOW?

Horbat

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 16 September 19 19:12 BST (UK) »
Maybe Wellington Pier, Great Yarmouth.  The shields on the attached photo look similar, just looking for more photos.

https://imsvintagephotos.com/image/cache/catalog/products/ims-scan-arc-01115268-f-1000x1000.jpg
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 16 September 19 20:26 BST (UK) »
close up:

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 16 September 19 21:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. The railings and sheilds in the photo look like the Great Yarmouth pier but the pillars underneath look thicker, more like the Ryde pier, it's very confusing.

Yarmouth seems more likely as some of the family members were originally from Norfolk and were more likely to go there than the Isle of Wight. But based on the photos on line neither compleltely matches up.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 16 September 19 23:54 BST (UK) »
Well done Jool. I think you are spot on with Wellington Pier, Great Yarmouth.

Check out the images here - especially the old black and white photo (enlarge it if you can).
https://piers.org.uk/pier/great-yarmouth-wellington/gallery/#https://piers.org.uk/pier/great-yarmouth-wellington/attachment/g3yarmouthwellingtontp/

Looby :)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 00:22 BST (UK) »
See where your coming from but Wellington Pier is a lot shorter than the one in the photo.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 17 September 19 00:48 BST (UK) »
See where your coming from but Wellington Pier is a lot shorter than the one in the photo.

I didn't think what we can see of the pier in the photo looks particularly long.
I've attached a copy of the upper right hand corner of the photo.
I think this shows part of the domed booth on Wellington pier - the railing with shields then turns left to form a right angle (think there are people standing on the sand there) .
Apologies if the cropped image is very small - I'm not very technical.

Looby :)