Author Topic: Scottish Stillbirths Records  (Read 3468 times)

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish Stillbirths Records
« on: Sunday 22 December 19 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have read the previous replies on Scottish stillbirth records but cannot find any that answer my specific situation. I am investigating a 1960’s stillbirth which definitely occurred. All parties are now deceased. If the stillbirth was prior to 24 weeks my understanding is that registration was not required. However was it optional if the parents wanted to register the stillbirth or was it a decision taken elsewhere?

If the stillbirth was not registered could the parents proceed with funeral arrangements in the absence of a death certificate. Perhaps a certification from the hospital medical staff might be sufficient?

Thanks

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Stillbirths
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 December 19 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Stillbirths at that time period had to be registered (This had been the case since 1939)
see https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/death/stillbirths/

The 24th Week rule did not come into being until the 1990's when a change to the legislation from 1965 was made - the 1965 Act stated 28 wks

The Stillbirth Register was kept seperate from the general Register of Births. This register is not available online

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 December 19 20:30 GMT (UK) »
If the stillbirth was not registered could the parents proceed with funeral arrangements in the absence of a death certificate. Perhaps a certification from the hospital medical staff might be sufficient?

In all probability i.e. info. may be found through burial records if you know where the stillbirth occurred i.e. nearest cemetery?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 December 19 22:23 GMT (UK) »
And for anyone researching Jewish families further back . stillbirth s were recorded in synagogue records and can be found in ledger sat records office.i don't know if this is available on line
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 December 19 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have read the previous replies on Scottish stillbirth records but cannot find any that answer my specific situation. I am investigating a 1960’s stillbirth which definitely occurred. All parties are now deceased. If the stillbirth was prior to 24 weeks my understanding is that registration was not required. However was it optional if the parents wanted to register the stillbirth or was it a decision taken elsewhere?

Thanks

Your mention of hospital medical staff leading me to think the stillbirth occurred in hospital.
It is highly likely in those days the hospital would not give the parents a choice of what to do with the fetal remains and would dispose of them as clinical waste, which was the common procedure at the time.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 December 19 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Falkryn - I am a bit confused. Your link states "The Registration of Still-Births (Scotland) Act, 1938, applied to any child born after the 28th week of pregnancy which did not breathe or show any other signs of life."

Rosinish - I am told we require the date of the stillbirth which we do not have. I had hoped to get that from stillbirth register but not looking likely from statement on website.

Guy - stillbirth was in hospital but we are confident that on this occasion the parents were consulted.

So my question is amended. Could parents of stillbirth (1960's) under 28 weeks opt to have the stillbirth registered. If not what evidence could they give to make funeral arrangements as they would not have a death certificate.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 December 19 12:44 GMT (UK) »
So my question is amended. Could parents of stillbirth (1960's) under 28 weeks opt to have the stillbirth registered. If not what evidence could they give to make funeral arrangements as they would not have a death certificate.

Unfortunately as Guy has stated procedures and attitudes then were very different. A foetus stillborn before it was 28 weeks old would not have been considered "viable" and therefore no Registration was needed  and very unlikely that parents were even given much of an option.

Disposal of the remains would have been done by the hospital probably with little consideration or consultation of the parents. (As recently as 2016 in Aberdeen babies were cremated and the parents informed there were no ashes.)

In all likeliehood the official attitude would have been along the lines of "get over it".

If however, the stillbirth was after the 28 week mark then the full Registration system would have been required

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 December 19 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Falkyrn. I know that would unfortunately be the case for the vast majority. Not in this case though as we are confident that there is a cemetery record. Been told it is very difficult to trace without a date.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 December 19 13:31 GMT (UK) »
If you're sure there was a burial you can phone/email to enquire, there's a price for searching although I can't recall how much?

https://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Pages/Burial-Lair-and-Cremation-Registers.aspx

From what I gathered when I spoke to them, their system can be searched by surname which brings up all burials year by year although don't quote me on that.

Annie

Add...Have you checked where parents were buried, are they not buried with their child?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"