Author Topic: Need Help Deciphering A Crofting Hamlet Name In Dailly parish 1700's  (Read 2593 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Deciphering A Crofting Hamlet Name In Dailly parish 1700's
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 February 20 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Forfarian that estate records for tenants may be the most fruitful route. I can see a few plans in online catalogue at National Archives of Scotland https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/catalogues-and-indexes; don't know where you are in the world. Sadly some years ago access to plans & maps became a lot more difficult but it may be worth an email to see if any of these maps have Cookiestoun [and variations] marked [they may need to charge for their time]
customerservices@scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Maybe it was in either Dalquharran, Killochan or Bargany estates?

Reference   RHP21850
Title   Plan of part of Bargany estate between Old Dailly and New Dailly
Dates   1802
Access status   Open
Access conditions   This record has been digitally imaged and will not be produced for readers. The digital images may be seen in the NRS Search Rooms on the 'Virtual Volumes' system.
Location   On site (Sighthill)
Description   'Plan. Part of Bargany estate, the property of Hew Dalrymple, esq.' Unattributed.
[1:3600] 1 inch = 4 Scots chains. 982 x 1585 mm. Ink and colourwash. Linen backing.
Plan of the estate of Bargany showing farms, buildings, settlements, areas of meadow and woodland. Stone dykes, roads, ponds, rivers, and pits noted. Neighbouring lands and proprietors named.
Level   File
Extent   1 plan, rolled
Related material   GD109
Archival history   Papers of the family of Dalrymple-Hamilton of Bargany, Ayrshire (GD109)

Reference   RHP140025

Title   Plan of part of the village of New Dailly
Dates   1833
Access status   Open
Access conditions   This record has been digitally imaged and will not be produced for readers. The digital images may be seen in the NRS Search Rooms on the 'Virtual Volumes' system or on the ScotlandsPeople website http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.
Description   'Rough sketch of part of the village of New Dailly'. Unattributed.
Not to scale. 250 x 315 mm. Ink.
Sketch plan. Locus of crime plan in precognition against Agnes Collins, for concealment of pregnancy.
Extent   1 plan, flat
Copyright   Crown Copyright

Reference   RHP3105/1-2
Title   Plan of Killochan estate, Dailly, Ayrshire
Dates   1874
Access status   Open
Description   Plan of Killochan Estate. Lithographed by W and A K Johnston, Edinburgh.
[1:2400] 1 in = 3 [Imperial] chains 59 x 58 cm
Plan of Killochan House and policies coloured to show roads in dispute.
Level   File
Extent   2 copies

Here's the oldest 25 in to the mile map I can find of Old Dailly
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.2567&lon=-4.7930&layers=168&b=1
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 February 20 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. I have tried that map a time or two.

Here's the 1750 Roy Military map I was using set for Old Dailliy kirk
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=55.2752&lon=-4.7419&layers=4&b=1

I found some other great ones with many names of crofting sites close by but i spent days and days pouring slow over the map inch by inch and never found anything really close in name. I did find some similar named near Methlick and up in Aberdeenshire

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 February 20 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I've tried quite a few of the following maps.

https://maps.nls.uk/scotland/

Mostly 1700's maps but also several mid 1800 ones with crofting hamlets marked.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 February 20 17:12 GMT (UK) »
There are at least 8 Cookst*ns in Scotland, in the parishes of New Deer, Ellon, Kingsbarns, Airlie, Brechin, Banchory-Devenick, Stow and Kilmarnock. There's Coxton in the parish of St Andrews-Lhanbryd in Moray (which may be the place referred to upthread, and was farmed by some of my ancestors in the 19th century) and there are Cockstons in the parishes of Gartly, Kilbirnie, Spott and St Martins. There are probably others, which would come to light if it were possible to search the Scotland's Places web site either phonetically or using wildcards.

The point is that when the Session Clerk of Dailly was writing up the registers of baptisms in the 18th century, he had probably never heard of any of these. Baptisms of children to parents not resident in the parish were unusual, and the clerk would almost invariably have written, for example, 'Cookston in the parish of xyz' if the parents' residence wasn't in Dailly. The fact that two different session clerks, several decades apart, in Dailly just wrote 'Cookston' (by whatever spelling variant they thought fit at the time) pretty much proves that it was in the parish of Dailly.

Everyone has heard of the Highland Clearances, but far fewer are aware that the Lowlands also had clearances, partly because they mostly passed off relatively peacefully and the displaced people found new lives in towns or as waged agricultural workers. Large numbers of small crofts simply disappeared  after the middle of the 18th century when the land was consolidated into larger farms, and it is likely that your Cookston is among them.

So while it is interesting to investigate places with similar names up to 200 miles from Dailly (including the one in Brechin where my 7th-great-grandparents farmed in the 1680s), it's not going to get you any further towards finding where your ancestors' Cookston was.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 February 20 17:34 GMT (UK) »
i actually found the other cookistoun/town's by accident while looking for other things on old maps. I could not find one close to Dailly Parish....though try I did and try again. Many of those little hamlets changed hands or names over the years. LIke I said I made a list of all the other names "Mains of _____" , Knockhall , Bargony etc etc etc and found them all one by one without to much trouble (many had slight name variations on the actual map). Cookiestown was not one I found in Dailly Parish or close by. I'll keep looking though.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 February 20 17:44 GMT (UK) »
As Forfarian & I have suggested, trying to find the estate records from whom your Stewarts rented seems the only way forward. Many estates kept their rentals & also had estate maps.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 February 20 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks , I did see that comment. I will follow up on that now. Thanks for the reminder...just got back from a roadtrip and on my laptop.

Cheers and thanks.

*edit* Okay i'm in there now and searching the site you recommended. It was hard to do that on a cel phone (at least on my phone). Much better on the lapper. Will report back.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 February 20 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I consider myself pretty decent at searching but I cannot find the correct index to be searching on that link you provided

"I agree with Forfarian that estate records for tenants may be the most fruitful route. I can see a few plans in online catalogue at National Archives of Scotland https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/catalogues-and-indexes; "

I'm sorry to do this and I in no way am looking to get spoon-fed info ...but could you just point me to the which link on that first page is the one i'm suppose to be looking for? Again I feel dumb asking but it is honestly escaping me.

*edit* Here is where i have made it to at the moment

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/estate-records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 February 20 18:40 GMT (UK) »
There are links to three catalogues part way down the page.

http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/welcome.aspx is the in-house catalogue of the National Records of Scotland;

http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrasregister/welcome.aspx is their catalogue of archives in private hands;

https://www.scan.org.uk/ is their catalogue of archives in public archives other than the National Records of Scotland.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.