Author Topic: "Can you do mine as well?"  (Read 7264 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: "Can you do mine as well?"
« Reply #54 on: Monday 02 March 20 12:56 GMT (UK) »
I once did someone's tree after she had asked. I put it on Ancestry and invited her to see it, which she did and she was pleased with it. A year later she asked me if I would delete it as she kept getting emails from Ancestry asking her to subscribe. I tried to persuade her, but she was adamant. Of course I didn't delete it, I just made it private and unsearchable and removed her invitation. Last year she asked me if I'd do it again! I politely told her that I'd already done it once and didn't have time to do it again.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 02 March 20 13:36 GMT (UK) »
If people have not researched family history for themselves I don't think they appreciate the time and effort it takes. That is before you even consider the financial cost.

I have helped a few friends and luckily never had any negative feedback. At the moment I am in the process of sending Scottish Records to a lady in America (she is related to one of my friends) and she is insisting on paying me. We have come to an agreement that she reimburses for the records only.

How many of us have been out of pocket and never given it a second thought because we are doing what we love.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 15:21 GMT (UK) »
I have spent many hours at record offices looking at microfilm/fiche machines and ordering original documents from their storage. Often I am tidying up fiche that has been put back in the wrong places, out of order and upside down, or rewinding microfilms that the previous user has not rewound, or even left upside down and such. And looking at almost illegible parish records on fichefilm for my own ancestors, so why go through it all again for someone elses.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Coombs because we enjoy what I call the thrill of the chase and to find what others can't I find  it an achievement mind you sometimes I can't find my own

Happy hunting

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 17:24 GMT (UK) »
I have spent many hours at record offices looking at microfilm/fiche machines and ordering original documents from their storage. Often I am tidying up fiche that has been put back in the wrong places, out of order and upside down, or rewinding microfilms that the previous user has not rewound, or even left upside down and such. And looking at almost illegible parish records on fichefilm for my own ancestors, so why go through it all again for someone elses.

Hear hear

George Hood, my ancestor's Deeds packs from 1833 & 1836 to 1882 for just two of his properties (with older C18 Deeds prior to his ownership) were discovered and required negotiation and a planned expedition to see them.

Advanced Railcard cheapest travel, budget hotel, minimal subsistence and a photography permit, cost about £650.

Very tiring, but interested to see them, they are a rare find! Photos only sorted into files and backed up so far.

But initial feelings, his origin is even more obscure, George Hood described as "professional" paid £510 (receipted) for the Freehold of all the property Lots sold at the 1835 Auction Sale (including his own property which is unlikely to have fetched more than £50 to £60 in 1835).

Mark

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 05 March 20 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Coombs because we enjoy what I call the thrill of the chase and to find what others can't I find  it an achievement mind you sometimes I can't find my own

Happy hunting

Louisa Maud

Yes that is true.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 14 March 20 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Well I may be a very distant rellie of Prince Charles, seeing as according to a book by Gerald Paget on the lineage of HRH Prince Charles, he descends from Alice Coggeshall who wed Sir Thomas Tyrrell in about 1410, and Alice is from the same family as my Coggeshall line from Essex, which I have traced back to ralph De Coggeshall. Thankfully, Danny Dyer is still not related to me, as it is a different line.

In other cases I seem to think "why bother" when spending days researching a likely line only for it to go cold. Maybe I should not become so immersed in genealogy. However, I always fancied a Somerset connection in the direct line, and found a direct rellie held land in Uphill, Somerset in the 1600s.

If someone did ask me for help, I would do a few immediate generations then give them some pointer for them to pick up when I leave off.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 15 March 20 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I can't quite understand someone who simply wants EVERYTHING done for them ... well, I can, but it's very lazy, and how do they know how accurate without checking themselves? I've had some good help on here and a Scottish site, but the nice thing is when people point you in the right direction when you ask, sort of giving you a boost over that brickwall, with fresh eyes (goodness, what a very mixed image).
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 15 March 20 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Unless you have done some family history research you don't appreciate that it's hard work, time consuming and expensive.  WDYTYA make it look so easy.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk