Author Topic: 1881 census Ontario, then where did they go.  (Read 4163 times)

Offline mjadco1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 census Ontario, then where did they go.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 August 05 20:59 BST (UK) »
Martha
Thanks for trying but the Elizabeth with grandmother Haworth is a definite no, and the other family also are definite no.
As you say it is so difficult with common first names, even more so when attached to common surnames.
I have been helped with Abel, he has turned up in Canada and married in 1883 and it looks as if he died prior to 1901 with no children, so that is the end of that little family line!!
Regards
Margaret

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 02:38 BST (UK) »
 Here may be something to look into...there is a name and a url within this marriage listing on family search that you can contact to find more informaton. Worth a try!

Mary Ann Roberts     
Event(s):
   Birth:  1868       Place:        
   Death:  1934       Place:        
Parents:
Father:     James Ralston     
Marriage(s):
   Spouse:     Delbert Horning   
   Marriage:  18 Jun 1893       Place:     Woodburn, Binbrook Township,                          Wentworth County, Ontario, Canada    

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 04:37 BST (UK) »
 re: Martha's submission...
  Have you checked out the Elizabeth E. in the Haworth household?  Having looked at
the results in the 1881, the only elizabeths I could find not with other Roberts as
daughters were domestic servants, and the above mentioned fits age and name perfectly.

What was the maiden name of your Elizabeth sr.? Perhaps finding that information might also solve some mysteries as to family that might be caring for the others...
J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline mjadco1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 08:20 BST (UK) »
J.J.
I have checked out Elizabeth in the Haworth household, not mine I am afraid, Elizabeth senior was nee Evans, I have quite a bit on her line.
Also Mary Ann from Ontario doe not fit either, wrong Dad to start with, but everythying is worth checking up on, so thank you for your time and trouble.
Margaret

Offline mjadco1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 08:30 BST (UK) »
Tommy Toronto
Thanks for all your info. having checked the four Anne/Annie on the 1901 census I believe the one who was widowed seems the most likely, I certainly would appreciate a look up on the death register for Abel, (with a name like that I felt he was going to be easy to trace - I should have learnt, nothing is easy!)
I will continue searching via the sites you gave me, have a good holiday and look forward to contacting you again re death certs.
Best wishes
Margaret

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

these are old messages from another site but they could be of interest to you. They were submitted by a Vicki Hill - I will PM her email to you

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/rw/localities.northam.canada.ontario.york/291
Searching for information on descendants of Abel Roberts and Annie Julia Lewis married 11 April 1883 in the county of York. Children were Arthur William, Frederick and Gertrude(married Name "Secord"). Any information will be greatly appreciated.

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=rw&p=surnames.roberts&m=3865

Looking for information on Robert and Elizabeth Roberts, and their son Abel Roberts from Liverpool England. Abel was born around 1863.In 1883, Abel was married in Toronto. Any information would be greatly appreciated

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=rw&p=surnames.roberts&m=3942

Looking for information on Robert Roberts and his wife Elizabeth Roberts of Liverpool, England circa 1863. Their son Abel was married in Toronto, April 11,1883 and died in Toronto September 12, 1896. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Vicki Hill

Hope this gives some new direction to your search

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 17:01 BST (UK) »

Louisa P. SKINNER  Head  U  Female   35   London, Middlesex, England      Matron Of Industrial School (O S O)     
and on a list of about 110 names of children  there is a mary A
 Mary A. ROBERTS      Boarder            Female      13      Lpool, Lancashire, England      Scholar     

and one more try at Elizabeth, that she may have shortened name to :

Eliza ROBERTS  Visitor   U   Female   16   Liverpool, Lancashire, England   Mantle Maker
  under:Isabella ABRAHAMS  Daur (Head)   U   Female   19   Liverpool, Lancashire, England   Dressmaker         

Offline mjadco1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hello to Sam Thompson
Wow, this seems to good to be true, someone else looking for exactly the same, I will get on to it straight away.
Many, many thanks.
Margaret

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 16 October 05 18:30 BST (UK) »
Looks like this could be Robert Jr in 1891?

ROBERTS 1891 census 119a2 family 185
york County, Toronto
saint andrew'sward
division 2 page 42
film T6369 lds1465794
Electoral District of Toronto City (
13 ROBERTS Robert m 26 married - Wales Wales Wales CofE plumber
14 ROBERTS  Annie f 28 married wife Eng Eng Eng CofE
15 ROBERTS Harry m 5 - son Ont Wales Eng CofE
16 ROBERTS Arthur m 3 - son Ont Wales Eng CofE
17 ROBERTS Gery f 1 - dtr Ont Wales Eng CofE

You can consult the indexes to Vital Stats to find the full registrations for the marriage (circa 1886 or a bit earlier) and the births of these 3 children.

I don't know the exact URL for finding it on the Ontario Archives, I use the Ontario Genealogy Section of Olive Tree  http://olivetreegenealogy.com/can/ont/   By using that URL you get to see what else is there besides links to online records for vitals and the link to send for the films  :)

Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore