Author Topic: Probate Record  (Read 1258 times)

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Probate Record
« on: Tuesday 31 March 20 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found a probate record for one of my ancestors who died in 1944 in Dundee. The probate record is sealed at Llandudno 10 months after his death.

I understood a Scottish confirmation would only require to be sealed in England/Wales if the deceased held assets in England/Wales and the sealing was a legal confirmation that allowed transfer of the asset. Rather surprised to find he had assets outside Scotland but scratching my head as to why, presumably the executor, would choose to have it sealed in Wales. Does it mean his asset(s) were in Wales?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Probate Record
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 14:12 BST (UK) »
My understanding is that the executor can choose to use any Probate Office in England & Wales. Most executors would choose the one most convenient for them to visit.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 14:22 BST (UK) »
The National Probate Service was relocated to Llandudno for the duration of WW2 - and maybe a year or 2 after ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 14:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. KGarrad - a simple answer! No mysterious Welsh assets after all. :'(

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 14:29 BST (UK) »
Alas, no! ;D

But obviously some assets in England and/or Wales? Shares, maybe?
Hence the sealing.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 14:36 BST (UK) »
KGarrad,

Family story that he dabled in shares. I assumed it was false. All the others have been. ;)

If he held shares in an English/Welsh company did the executor have to get it sealed in England to sell them?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:16 BST (UK) »
If he had shares in a company registered in England/Wales, the executor would need first get them sealed.
Then he/she would need to liaise with each company to get the shares transferred or sold.

Helped with that twice in recent years - 'cos the Isle of Man is also a separate jurisdiction to England & Wales.

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks KGarrad,

Think that's the explanation. When I can get back to Edinburgh I will look at the will and confirm.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 19:56 BST (UK) »
KGarrad, out of curiosity, if a testament confirmed in Scotland is sealed in England and Wales, does that mean that any will involved can be ordered from the probate search department in England?

If so it might be handy for getting the wills of people whose testaments were confirmed in Scotland after 1925.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.