Author Topic: Seafield Terrace Blyth  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
Seafield Terrace Blyth
« on: Monday 13 April 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
I'm currently helping a friend researching Wensleydale Terrace in Blyth. At the links end there is a row of six old houses (not the new builds) opposite where the entrance to the harbour and first beach used to be. Can anyone confirm these houses were originally called Seafield Terrace? Any other info would be gratefully received, when they were built, who for etc. Many thanks
P.

Oops read SEAFIELD not seaview, apologies.
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seaview Terrace Blyth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 April 20 11:55 BST (UK) »
How old is old? 

Might they appear on a census if you searched by address "Seaview Terrace"
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
Re: Seaview Terrace Blyth
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 April 20 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Millipede, I have looked at the censuses from 1881 to 1911. Households are recorded in the, Tile Sheds" in 91 at that end of the "Links Road". Then in 1901 Seafield terrace comes on the scene, the enumerator is walking into Blyth so the Tile sheds come next before, Blagdon Terrace. I'm looking to confirm that, Seafield Terrace is the row of six cottages that are still in existence so probably 120ish years old. :)
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seafield Terrace Blyth
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 April 20 14:25 BST (UK) »
Revised OS map of 1896 shows a row of cottages beside the tile and brick works and the tile sheds called Maughan's Cottages. Could be what you are looking for.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 April 20 14:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry, meant to include image from map.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 April 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 April 20 15:45 BST (UK) »
Are these the houses https://goo.gl/maps/gaXSteGZghT67QuNA
Shown as Maughan's Terrace on the map.
Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 April 20 16:24 BST (UK) »
The 1911 Census Summary Book goes Wenslydale Terrace, Grantham Street, Dent Street, Chamberlain Street, Brick Works office, Seafield Terrace, Tile Sheds.
See https://maps.nls.uk/view/132279290#zoom=5&lat=2255&lon=8270&layers=BT

So those houses were definitely Seafield Terrace.

Stan

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 April 20 22:19 BST (UK) »
I have studied the subject and the maps, and I've come to the conclusion that Seafield Terrace must be the row of six houses with arched doorways. Between the end of the row of six, and where the original end of Wensleydale Terrace was (which still has a blue enamel sign on it) and the Tile Sheds Office 'new' houses have been built. The current gap between the two terraces is where the end of the tile sheds railway line branch got close to the road. I think there must have been a loading area between road and rail transport at that point.

Now I have said all that, the current row of six houses stands on the site of a previous row of six houses, the original six facing inwards towards the tile sheds and with beautifully arched front doorways. The 'new' terrace faces outwards toward the sea, and the arched doorways were replicated.

This is a drawing of the old tile works showing the old row of six terraced houses on the right.
The image predates Wensleydale Terrace, and you can clearly see the stand alone building that must have been the Offices by the road. Blagdon Terrace can also be seen in the background by the railway bridge.

I hope you find this information to be useful. Sorry that I cannot state with 100% certainty that the row really is Seafield Terrace, but I think with the evidence we have it must be it.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.