Author Topic: electoral rolls renfrewshire  (Read 2517 times)

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
electoral rolls renfrewshire
« on: Friday 01 May 20 00:36 BST (UK) »
 Greetings from New Zealand. I am researching a family story that one of our relatives fought and died with the International Brigade in Spain . I have tried various sources to find a list of those who were recruited from Greenock., including the list of Scottish volunteers and the International Brigade death list and I cant locate my relative.  I am wondering if I have a correct name.  Are there electoral rolls for Greenock in the 1930's? I am told he lived in Quarrier St Greenock with a local family. I have tried the Ancestry data base for Glasgow electoral rolls in the hope it might also contain Greenock information but so far no luck. I have also written to the Greenock Telegraph Archives  in the vague hope that they might have covered stories from that time but since so many Archives are closed I may have to wait  quite a while for a reply.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Regards Orkrad.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: electoral rolls renfrewshire
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 May 20 09:56 BST (UK) »
Are there electoral rolls for Greenock in the 1930's?
There are.

I have tried the Ancestry data base for Glasgow electoral rolls in the hope it might also contain Greenock information.
Greenock isn't even in the same county as Glasgow, and it is (historically speaking) a burgh in its own right so would have prepared its own registers of electors. Unless Ancestry has decided to redraw the historic map of Scotland to suit their idea of how it should have been you will not find anyone in Greenock in the Glasgow electoral registers.

In order to view the registers of electors for Greenock you would need to look in Greenock or in the National Library of Scotland or the National Records of Scotland, both in Edinburgh. The Watt Library in Greenock is the place to start. Among other resources there is an online index to the local newspapers https://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/community-life-and-leisure/heritage-services/watt-library/local-history/watt-library-newspaper-index

You could also try the online Valuation Rolls at Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. They list 98 references to Quarrier Street in 1940.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 May 20 00:35 BST (UK) »
 Thank you raonull4, Forfarian and Kloumann.  I will check the Find my past records and the other references. I checked the  site for Greenock volunteers and my relative is not there. I am looking for a James Mc Lachlan/mc Laughlan who was apparently adopted into my family. He died of wounds (I presume in Spain). He may or may not be Greenock born  as the family he lived with had Irish origins.  I feel like I am chasing a family myth! Many thanks for all your help. 

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 May 20 02:49 BST (UK) »
the name Arkleyis in Quarrier St Greenock 1940
1 of the names on the international brigade volenteer list
is James Arkley a seaman

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 May 20 02:52 BST (UK) »
This one

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 May 20 23:18 BST (UK) »
 Thanks raonuill 4  i did see that name . The person  I am seeking is JamesMclachlan/McLaughlan. If there is an electoral roll for Grrenock in the 1930's there is just a faint chance he would be on it. He died in Spain probably on or around 1937.  Regards Orkrad

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 May 20 00:10 BST (UK) »
Possible change of name?
The international brigaid were 'guns for hire' is it possible that he changes his name?

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.